1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on Ampeg SVP-CL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Anyone using this pre? I'm after a nice clean tone with huge balls in the low mids. Will it deliver?

Lovingly,

Ostinato

2. I had one. It delivers. I'm getting another one! :D

3. If a clean tone is all you want, you'll love it mate. :)

4. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Clean balls?

:eyebrow:

Yeah... I'd have to say, yeah.

:smug:

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I had one, and indeed "clean balls" is where it's at. I sold it in a fit of GAS and anti-Ampeg sentiment, but I shouldn't have because it actually sounded killer.

6. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    It's one of the few newer Ampegs that uses the older SVT design for its guts. It has been part of my live rig for well over a year now with the Berg IP112.

I'm doing a tad bit of experimenting with other things to see if they'll be any better, but I won't sell the SVP-CL.

7. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Thanks for the input guys, you're making my decision an easy one...and I always shower after work so try my best to keep my balls clean from here on in.

:D

8. The Bass knob freq., 20HZ I think, will give you that P-sound. Only problem is if you have a 5-string you have to be careful hitting the low notes when you use it-she rumbles!!! Great if your using say a 410 cab. Tight and low.

I use it all the time going direct, recording, etc.. I hope you can find one.

www.myspace.com/jimmcgreehan

9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Huuuh? Are they discontinued or something? I thought they just came out a few years ago!

***. :spit:

Damnit. :mad:

10. CBBass123

CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Yes discontinued....and if you see a used one...they go quick and close or equal to new price

11. Legend piece of gear. I've had mine about 3 years.
    I think it's the only piece of gear that'll survive GAS attacks long enough to get handed down to the grandchildren.
    Seriously - It's that good!:)

And yes - It's real clean - has a great talent for getting rid of pedal/line hiss and hum aswell.

It should suit a 5 stringer easy - I use a 4 myself, tuned down to C - and there's still too much bass on tap for me (and I play stoner rock!) so I have to back it off quite a bit.
    I use ported 15's and my bass has been modded to stingray pre and pup specs BTW.

Good Luck mate,
    smo