Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on Ampeg SVT 400T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shirojiro, Jan 25, 2001.

1. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at a used Ampeg SVT 400T - all transistor amplifier, 200 watts x 2. They seller wants $300.

I'm trying to find a low cost, high power amp for my SWR Goliath II (just bought - used for $300!) I realize that this amp is heavy, but I have a car, and my cab hjas casters.

I play mainly funk and rock with some jazz. I'm hoping to do some club gigs with this rig.

Do any of you use this amplifier? Any problems? Does it sound like doo-doo? Can I get a decent range of tones with it? Is it bridge-able to get 400 watts?

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Shin

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't think you can bridge it. You could rewire your cab for stereo, though.

Sound...well it's that Ampeg solid state sound, a lot like the B2/SVT350H amp.

$300 is a good price.

3. SVT400Ts are hella loud, and hella heavy!

200w x 2 into 4Ohms, 400w bridged into 8Ohms.

Like Brian sez, they sound B2R-ish, but a little more on the grunty side.

4. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Well, I bought it. $300 was too cheap to pass up. Now I have other questions.

how do you bridge it? Can you use the 1/4" sockets or do you have to use the banana plugs?

Did it come with rubber feet? Mine was in a rack and so it only has the 4 rubber feet on the back so it can stand on end.

It has a bad potientiomer - it's the stage volume pot. Unfortunately, it's also a "pull switch."

All in all, it sounds quite nice, even though I'm only running one side. The "pull ultra bass" switch is pretty amazing.

Thanks for any help.

-Shin

5. SkoMule

SkoMule

Nov 16, 2004
    I have one - it's the biggest piece of crap I've ever bought! I also own a 70s vintage SVT - it's the great treasure I own! Solid state equals solid suck - run away - My 300 watt tube SVT eats this 400 Watt Amp for lunch. Plus the tone of the tubes - heaven brother!

Hunt down an old SVT - you'll never buy another amp!

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    There is a "slave/mono" switch next to the speaker outs. It is easier to use the binding posts, but you should be able to use a 'dual banana" plug for mono, connecting to the hot (red) posts.

If you want a PDF of the manual, PM me with an email address. It's about a 700K file, if you have dial-up.......

The control/switch is available from Service, I checked and they show inventory on both types used in that unit. I didn't check which part number it is, probably 70-103-28, as there is only one of them on the unit, and its an audio taper.

I don't remember about the feet, does it have 4 threaded holes on bottom? if so, you can easily put feet on it.

7. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Make sure the cooling fan is moving air out the left side as you face it; I had to replace fans periodically (about $25). Otherwise, it was well made.

I think $300 is a great price for it.

8. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Wow, thanks for the input on this ressurected thread.

I've been using the SVT 400T as my main gigging amp for a few years now, and it's been a great workhorse.

I got a faxed manual from Ampeg in St Louis when I bought the amp - thanks for the offer of a manual though. I really appreciate it.

I run it bridged into an Avatar 4x10 and it sounds great. I don't want to get into the tubes vs solid state thing, but with or without my SABDDI, it really rocks.

Oh, and after a bunch of really painful maneuvering, I replaced the pad pot/switch. It was soldered to the board, and I had to pull it out of the chassis to change it out.

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    So I see.........I totally missed the point that SkoMule seems to have been digging in REALLY ancient history....

Well, we are glad you are still liking it........