Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ego, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    right now i've got nice basses, a nice cab, and a someone poop-filled head. i'm playing on either a Fender American Deluxe P-Bass V or a Fender J-Bass 24 into a Yamaha B100III head and through a Mesa/Boogie 1x18 cabinet. the head is the only thing i'm really unhappy with so...

i've got a connection to a store that deals crate, and so i can get an Ampeg peice for cheap. i like the idea of a tube amp, but the all-tube amps they have (SVT-CL and SVT-2) are only rated for 2-4 Ohm output, and my cab is 8 ohm, and i'm not gonna get another for awhile. right now i'm leaning towards the SVT-3pro, but i've read kind of mixed reviews..

so, i ask you, what are your opinions if you had your pick of the Ampeg line? i play slap, fingerstyle... i want options with my sound, but given the choice between P-bass and J-bass i'll take the Prescision every time.

thanks

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    If you can afford it a svp-4pro.

Either that or the power amp that ampeg has+a good pre.

Hope ya can figure somethin out!

-Rob

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I swear by my 3Pro, but it helps that I picked it up used in VG condition for $350. It also helps that I have a very efficient Schroeder to run it through, so I have plenty of headroom.

However, I think if I was paying new-gear prices (or close to it), I'd be tempted to look at an Ampeg pre, and mate it to a good poweramp.... you could probably get a doggone similar tone, and considerably more power, for the same dough....

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd recommend 1 of 3 combinations.

1. Ampeg SVT-4 Pro
    2. Ampeg SVT-CL
    or get an Ampeg SVP-CL and get a good power amp

5. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    i'm not too worried about price... i'm gettin 55% of list (SVT-3pro would be around $700)

i'm happy enough with my present setup that i can wait to save up for whatever.

the SVT-CL is out, i need to be able to drive 8 Ohms. my current cab is rated 400watts @ 8 ohms, and i don't think i'm gettin another anytime soon

um... i'm a little fuzzy on the preamp/poweramp concept. i'm guessing a regular head is made up of these two parts, but you can get them seperately? i should probably find this stuff out...

thanks for the replies so far

edit: i'm not totally averse to buying from eBay or classifieds either. new sounds better for warranty mostly, but if there's a recommendation for something that goes around $1000 used, i'll listen

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    A SVT-CL will operate at 8-ohms, it just won't be optimal to do so. It will only produce 200 or so Tube Watts.
    The concept behind getting a Pre/Power Amp Setup is just as you said. There are two components to most "heads", which are the pre-amp and the power-amp. Many of us use both types of setups. For example, you can get an Ampeg SVP-CL which gives you all that great SVT-CL tone (or something close to it) and put it through a solid state power amp like a QSC, Crest, Stewart, Crown, mackie... the list goes on and on.

7. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep, exactly. And on the 3Pro, many people's take is that the amp is capable of excellent tone options, but is a little weak in the power department.

And if you can get a deal on an Ampeg head, it would stand to reason that you could also get a deal on an Ampeg pre, that gives many of the same options.

For example... "street" price on a 3Pro is $900. Alternately,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481832/
    ...and...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/s=amps/search/detail/base_pid/481564/

Also $900. Very similar tone-shaping options. Tube pre and solid-state output in both cases.

Except you have 1400W into 4-ohms, rather than 450..... ;)

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Beefydog hit it right on the head. The only problem I could see is that you would most likely get a bit more weight. IIRC, the RMX series weighs quite a bit. I don't know what that QSC weighs off the top of my head, but I'd recommend keeping your eyes pealed for a QSC "PLX" series or the Stewart amps. They are light weight and great amps. Look for them used.

9. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    mm, alright. that sounds really good.

so i can get the SVP-CL for around 400, then shop around for a good power amp. that sounds more than doable. also, my current amp has pre/power ports, so if i get one peice before the other i can use it with what i have, right? with that in mind, what's more important?

last thing: my cab is rated at 400 watts, so i should look for power amp out at about that level, yes?

10. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yeah, likely more weight..... and I wasn't necessarily *recommending* those pieces (although they are good ones); just trying to give him an example of a pre/power setup, and the potential advantages....

6-year warranty on that poweramp, btw.... :)

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Depends on what you like. We've been listing two different pre-amps that ampeg makes. The SVP-CL and the SVP-Pro. Both good, however I like the SVP-CL better Just more of the classic ampeg tone and in a more simplistic format (with less noise). The most important part is your tone generating factor, so i'd say get the pre first, however, you'll need both, so just take the jump and get em.

12. A head really has two parts. There is the part that gives you the tone, and controll of tone, the preamp; and the part that gives you the power, the power amp. You can get pro audio power amps, such as a Crown or QSC that match whatever cab you have, wattage and ohm wise. Then you can choose the preamp that has the sound you want, and not worry about it having to match your cab. Most of the major companys make a preamp that will give you "their" sound.

Your signal chain would be; bass->preamp->poweramp->cab. For instance, with your Mesa cab you could use:

Ampeg SVP preamp
    QSC PLX 1602 (only running one channel)
    Mesa 1X18

13. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Right. And the only reason I brought up the SVP-Pro was because it's closest to the preamp section of the 3Pro that Ego mentioned in his first post.....

Decisions, decisions..... ain't they fun..... :hyper:

14. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    alright, thanks a lot everyone for the info. i've got a bit of shopping to do before i make a final purchase.

damn instruments are cool

15. erm, not quite, a tube amp does not work like an SS amp, it gives the same power at each impedance (has an impedance tap switch)

and running at a higher impedance is very bad for a tube head, unlike with an SS amp

16. on another note, the SVT CL and SVT 2 Pro both have the same basic sound, the 2 pro is just rack mountable and has more do-dahs, prefer my SVT II over em both :bassist:

17. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I didn't know that. Good to know. I guess you learn something new everyday.

18. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Well I know you said the svt-cl is out but that would be my pick. I'd suggest plugging into one to hear what it is that you're passing on. If you your GAS isn't too urgent you could wait and get a great 4 ohm cab to match or another 8 ohm'er to go with your mesa.

19. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm quite pleased with the SVP Pro/power amp combination I have. One of Ampeg's preamps and the power amp of your choice is (depending on power amp) affordable and you can always change components at will to get a different tone and/or more power. Northern Light and Sound (or is it Sound and Light?) has VERY good prices on QSC amps. Their RMX series, while heavy, performs well and doesn't cost much.

20. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    yeah, the seperate pre/power deal seems like the perfect way to go. i've gotta get me to a big guitar store so i can paly around a little. thanks everyone, i've got a much better idea what i'm lookin for now