Opinions on Ash and Mahogany Cores?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Well, i know i have asked a couple of you this question already. Adrian Garcia, Josh Walsh, Chump Stain so far i believe that's all so far. Well, in depth from Adrian, opinions from the other two. Anyways, so i'm still trying to figure out a core for the DP custom i want to have made. It's between those two woods. I would just like to get your opinions on the two as a core for a fretted bass with an ebony fingerboard, and Bird's eye maple and purpleheart neck.
  2. I've never played an ash-bodied bass that didn't have a really solid slap tone.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    go for ash man.
    Ash has a very nice defined tone, with attack, and a very traditional Slap tone.)
    Mahogany will add a lot of bottom and low midrange but will suck out definition and attack.
  4. Ash: A very musical wood; swaph ash has a slightly scooped tone, with buttery mids, sweet highs and strong lows. Not as agressive n the mids/high mids as alder or mahogany. As previously mentioned, works well with slapping, and also with fretlesses.

I disagree with Luis on Mahogany, however. IMO, on a bass, Mahogany is very high-mid rich and does not bring out the fundamental the way bubinga or walnut do. Mahogany produces FANTASTIC, rich and full guitar tone (much like korina), but doen't seem to produce the low fundamentals and second harmonics on a bass IME.
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ash w/thick bubinga top = :D
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i personally prefer the slap tone of a bass made of alder or northern ash than swamp ash. swamp ash doesnt have enough grunt when you thump.
  7. you know what I'm gonna say... ash all the way.
    sitting on the dock of the bay.
    making things out of clay.
    roll around in some hay.
    I just may, what do ya say?

O wait... yeah get ash. :p
  8. What style of music do you play and what tone are you after? My Wal has a mahogany core and birdseye maple facings/rosewood fretboard. If you want that low mid grunt mahogany is for you. My Lakland is southern swamp ash with a quilted maple top/birdseye maple fretboard. I find that the tone is balanced and full. Very traditional sounding to my ears.

Granted in my case it's an apples and oranges comparison of two very different sounding basses.