opinions on ash....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KAOSBass, Jan 8, 2006.

1. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I got a wonderful piece of ash, from a friend, roughly 7-1/2" X 1-7/8" X 10'. What are your opinions on neck material? pick-ups...etc.....

Just curious what are some better option for building with ash...
  2. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Here's what I know about Ash.

First, there are several different types of Ash; from the light "Swamp" ash which is rather light, to Northern Ash which is very heavy. Both have been used in instrument making.

Ash is one of the most common body woods ranking among mahogany, alder, basswood and poplar in production models.

I've never seen it used to make a neck, though on MIMF there was a discussion about using it as a neck wood. The common thought was that it made for an incredibly stiff neck, but wasn't tonally appealing.....don't ask me why.

3. I'd like to try ash as a neck wood. I've seen that MTD and Benavente have used it, and probably a few others that I can't remember.
  4. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    Cool, The Ash is Swamp ash, I was thinking either a Maple neck or Wenge, maybe walnut. It will be neck-thru, the body design is a kind-of, p-bass/j-bass hybrid. I'm planing on using EMG soapbars with a custom made active/passive preamp. Cocabola fretboard. And hipshot hardware.

So what would you guys, advice be on neck material. I'm also thinking about maybe a 1/4" -1/8" maple top.

Let me know what you would try. This is my first neck-thru. I built a P-bass last year (bolt-on). turned out really nice, but rather plain looking. Alder body, maple neck, painted Black with white pick guard. so now it's time to try for something abit more involved. any advice you can give me will help guys thanks.
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Swamp ash is not a species of ash. It's generally black ash, graded out by weight.
  6. I'd section that 10 footer into 21"-22" pieces and center-join me up some body blanks.

7. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    No bolt-ons here....."neck-thru only" the doctor said.... :p :)
  8. my answer still stands for that too. just the sections become "wings". :D
  9. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas

Thats the plan!!! :)

I think I've decided on the Wenge neck/Cocabola fretboard combo. Should be interesting. I'm gonna start cutting on the Ash tonight or tomorrow.
  10. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I bet that changed your relationship. Friends with benefits now?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

11. Cool. I guess I rush-read the first post, but it looked like you were thinking ash necks too...not necessarily a bad thing, just curious.

Post some pics of stuff you use it on. Should be cool.
  12. T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Fodera uses ash as their neck wood very often (always quartersawn). If it's good for Fodera, it's good for me too :cool: