1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on Ashdown cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otto B, Apr 17, 2009.

1. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    What are your opinions on the Ashdown cabs

2. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Depends on the model. If you're talking ABM cabs, they're awesome. The only thing I didn't like about my ABM 410T was that the Eminence Beta Blue 10's couldn't handle much power before they'd give up (I replaced two of them). They switched to SICA drivers shortly after I bought my cab, and they sound just as good, with much better power handling. My ABM 210T had the SICA drivers in it, and they took whatever I threw at them with ease.

If you're looking at used, the Beta Blue speakers are easy to identify because they have a pretty big dust cap on them. The SICA ones are much smaller.

3. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Fort Bliss Texas
    yes I am talking about the Ashdown Engineering ABM 115 500W 1x15" Bass Guitar Speaker Cabinet

4. SneakyT

SneakyT Commercial User

Dec 5, 2005
    Austin
    The older British abm are great sounding cabs. It is really hard to get replacement drivers if you blow them though. The newer cabs are Chinese and the drivers are not as good as the sica ones. The cabs are not made as well either. I use the 115 compact and 210 compact cabs. The newer compact cabs are about four inches deeper and sound sloppy when compared to the british ones in my opinion. I did blind compare them with the same amp too. I had a pedal mess up and blow a few of my speakers and I did not get the level of service I would expect from a pro company like that. I ended up replacing the drivers with eminence and they sound pretty much the same as they did before. Guess I did a good job of spec-ing out the new drivers Since they sound the same. Anyway I would recommend the older british abm but if I were to have to buy new I personally would not go with the abm's that they make today. I'm not saying that they are terrible (far from it actually) but I would look (listen) to other options as well.

5. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I remember hearing one of the small size 1x15's a couple of years ago and it sounded great.

6. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    I like the ABM stuff quite a bit. I used to have an ABM 500 4x10 combo and it sounded great. When I replaced it I purchased and ABM 500 head and was considering the classic series 4x8 with the 15 compact cabs. I checked the reviews I could find they were so so about the overall performance. Plus they a pretty heavy for the size. I ended up having Don at LDS make me a 4x8 + 112 cab instead. It sounds easily as nice as my old (english series 4x10) and weighs just slighly more than the Ashdown 4x8 neo cab. It gives much of the same vibe I had before, plus it was cheaper.