Opinions on bag-end

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Jan 7, 2006.

1. DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    hey everyone, I can't seem to find much info on these cabinets can anyone describe the sound of the 15 inch and also the 12 inch, will they handle a low b? are they efficient?

2. Nice cabs... there were two or three very detailed threads recently talking about these... especially the small 15" cabs if you do a search.

Regarding the 15's....

Upside.... very warm sounding, loud for their size, punchy sound cuts through mix, the version with the tweeter has a very warm, natural sounding tweeter... great treble extension, very high quality, well made, great company support if you ever have a problem.

Downside.... relatively heavy (the larger cabs are very heavy), no tweeter adjustment control, rear ported (some say it doesn't matter, others find they are more dependent on placement in the room than other cabs), relatively high roll-off... the smaller bags will not give you huge, low bass sound like some other cabs, but that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on the sound you are looking for.

I don't have any experience with their 12's.

Edit: per your specific question... no problem of even the small 15 cabs handling a B string... you won't get that huge fundamental sound, but a nice tight, punchy low B that sits pretty well in a mix. I would put these cabs about in the middle of the spectrum on efficiency.... plenty loud per watt IMO.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I have an S15X-D and it is a very nice cab. (I'm still debating in whether it is right for me). What it does well... projects clearly, cleanly and with ample amounts of volume. The highs it produces are, IMO, second to none- never brittle, sterile or intrusive. They are well rounded, light and "airy". It is very portable.

What it doesn't do well (IMO), produce thick, powerful lows. It is voiced very much in the mid range end of the tonal spectrum, and can even sound "boxy". Supposedly, it will produce varying degrees of lows when placed at just the right distance from a wall but I have yet to find the sweet spot. It's tone sometimes reminds me of a Peavey TNT150 (or whatever they're called) a buddy of mine has- a bit nasally and repressed, almost as if I am waiting for it to "open up".

Overall, it is a very nice cab with a specific tone that will sound great to some. It, to my ears, is just a bit thin sounding. Although, pairing it with another cab may improve the low end performance, it is something I have never done.
  4. I own a S15B-C, which is the big tweeterless Bag End 115 w/ black carpet.

I love it, punchy, pretty quick for a 15! Great lows, mids, decent highs, I have no negatives for this cab! Well, maybe one, it's not a perfect stand alone cab, as it could use some more high end, and it's rated only 200 watts continuous (IMO this is VERY conservative). I've even heard people compare the smaller bag end s15's to the punch and quickness of 2x10's, though I have never played/heard any of these smaller cabs, so I can't actually speak from experience.

Great cabs!

edit: as a side not this cab is front ported.
  5. I own the stained Birch models S12-B and S15-B without coax in either cabinet. They are small 12H x 18W x 15D and 42 lbs. for the S12-B and 16H x 18W x 15D at 46 lbs. Depending on the venue I run one or the other or both with an Ampeg V4BH, 100 watts at 4 or 8 ohms.

The S15-B will handle the low B with ease and aplomb and are hard pressed to get woofy unless you do stOOpid EQ. Not sure about a single or pair of the S12-B's though I would not be surprised to find myself liking that comination as well.

Punchy, defined and clear in the highs no glare or clack, many say "woody" sounding. This stack nails the McCartney/Lesh tones easily. I have found them to be incredibly room friendly as well and have not had any problems with "distancing from the rear wall" as has sometimes been suggested.

If the stage volume requires more than the 100 watts of output available ( I play with guys that use 8-15 watt guitar amps and a Hammond B3 run by a Fender SIngle Showman), I go FOH and turn the bottom cab, S15-B, towards the drummer.

I love my Bag Ends and I don't hesitate to recommend them to or let others try mine.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nope, i have no affiliation with bag end

but i am a fan............ ;)

The S15 will handle a low B, but will not reproduce the fundamental (few cabs actually will). It is a very tight and quick sounding 15, with a great midrange and tight lows. A pair sounds much more "bassy" than one cab.

The S12 is a very unique cab. I wouldn't use it alone for a 5, but that's not its forte'. The S12 has a midrange aggressiveness that i've not heard in any other cabinet (and i've tried/used a lot). This cab really comes into its own on top of an S15 (or a lot of other cabs). The S15/S12 combo is my favorite, being much more well rounded than either a pair of S15s or S12s. When the S15 is an S15X (i.e., when it has the coaxial tweeter) the sound is pretty unreal accross the frequency range.

Both cabs are rated for 200 watts RMS, 800 watts peak. IME, the RMS ratings are very conservative, especially for the S15. Typically i run 400 watts into each cab, but i have run an S15 at 1400 watts w/o issue - (but i don't dime the volume either).

If i have time I'll see if i can dig up my old shootout of BE cabs.
  7. DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    thanks so much guys, are there any main differences between the "S-15B" and the S-15D? i have the chance to get a used S-15D and also a used S-12D used for cheap.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA

price. the birch units are a lot more expensive. They do sound a tiny bit different in the midrange, i'd have to say i like the birch better. however, i own the "D" cabs w/o complaint. The tone difference is minimal.
  9. When I heard their name I Immediately decided to never buy anything from them :p
  10. Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I've been using a BagEnd S15D for over a year and it's loud and can handle the low B. I also have the EA CXL112L cab but although it's nicer sounding it can't keep up with the BagEnd regarding loudness. I got the BagEnd because of it's size and weight. I think it's still the smallest 15" cab out there and at 45lbs still one of the lightest.
  11. jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I have both the S15D and the S12D. I bought them a while back based on the reviews here on TB. Like IvanMike says, while the 15 sounds good on it's own, the 12 is a bit weak, running them together the sound is huge, belying the sum of their parts. I run them with an Eden WT400. A nice, light, compact rig. I couldn't be happier.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been running a pair of S15-Ds for almost five years now, with an Eden WT-550 for the last three.

I really do like the Bag End sound; that said, I've been casually looking at other alternatives since I switched over to five stringers last year. I'm not unhappy with how the Bags work with my fives, but want to be sure I'm not leaving anything on the table.

I'll be perfectly happy if it works out that the Bags are still for me - I don't want to change!
  13. DerekP,

Regarding your last question, it depends where you put the hyphen in the model designation. S15-D or S15-B are the smaller, cube shaped single 15" ("D" being the "deep red" carpet covering, "B" being the birch. There was also a "C" that refers to black carpet covering; perhaps last seen in the late '80s very early '90s.), whereas if there's a "B" before the hyphen, it indicates it's the larger version that a bit deeper and wider, mainly meant to have a lower cutoff frequency, and possibly be used as a subwoofer.

I recently got into the Bag End range, and when I was searching for a pair of S15s (one regular and one "X" with the tweeter), I got a reply from a guy who had a pair of the larger models for sale, one with the coaxial tweeter, which he had BE make him special, as this isn't/wasn't a regular production model. I guess that model would've been listed as the S15XB-D! I wanted the smaller versions, so I passed on his offer. I've also run across a limited series called the "L" that is dimensionally between the two, but it doesn't appear in the glossy brochure I have from the '90s nor on the web site.

Bag End is an interesting company. Anybody out there (IvanMike?) have any insight on how the company sees itself?
  14. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I love bag end cabs.. I have had a few since my first one in 1983.. let see.. i had a custom 2x15, 1x18+1x12 , 1x15 deep, 2x12, and a 1x12.
    I love their response and character.. very warm yet natural sounding to my ears..
    I was thinking of replacing my aggy GS112s with a pair of the S15B cabs.. i just dont know if the BEs would have the sick lowend that the aggys have..since i have never had the s15 BE only the S15B-D deep cabs...
    So i figured i would ask some BE fans if they think the S15 are deep sounding. .i mean real deep.

otherwise the BE are stellar... warm punchy and even sounding...
  15. When I built my first GAS based cabinet, I contacted Eminence (they make the Bag End drivers) directly and I asked questions. THey sent me a list of selected drivers and specs along with both sealed and ported box designs for each driver. Then ask for a distributer in your area in my case it was Parts Express in Dayton. CMI and Cerwin Vega make 21" subs I did not see if you have a BOX builder program. That will help out a lot!

I turned out to be a great sounding 4 x 10 BUT it was heavy. I have since gone with 2 4x10 neos and I am very happy with my sound.

Keep in mind are you trying to fill the whole venue with your cabinet instead of letting the PA do it? If you are just trying to get a good stage mix an 18" or 2 will do just fine.