Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on band demo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DinoSco, Jun 11, 2003.

1. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi fellow Talkbassers,

My band just completed a four-song demo done fairly quickly and cheaply, the main goal being to drum up some more gigs at larger clubs than the little pubs we've been playing in to date.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear opinions from fellow bass players on the music, the bass and the recording quality. It's the first demo we've ever done and we learned a lot from it, but whatever advice, criticism and comments I can get will help future projections.

We cut four songs (two original and two cover tunes) and this original is probably the most catchy tune we did:

http://eryk.sacrednut.com/mp3/coldturkey/cold turkey - got sick.mp3

There are some mistakes in there (I hit a couple bad notes in there) but with our time constraints we couldn't correct everything, we just wanted something pretty solid for club managers to listen to.

Again, any feedback is appreciated. I do well with constructive criticism so whatever comments you have, please post with honesty!

Thanks,
    Dino

2. I hope you don't mind the comparison, but your band reminds me of Dave Matthews. The sax sounds a little out of control, but I think the band sounds pretty tight together. I think the bass could be louder, but what I heard was pretty good.

3. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the feedback. Don't mind the comparison at all, DMB is one of my favorite groups and I'm sure Stefan Lessard's style comes through in some of the things I play. I think he's a very good player. I appreciate the kind words.

Dino

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, first of all, it's a great song! Now if I may critique a little...........You guys need to be more in the pocket. Clue in on the drummer's kick pattern. On that middle section, where you're walking notes all over....play notes that match with the chord the guitarist is playing. Some of the notes are out of place. I find that a lot of bassists tend to feel they have to do that walking bit but sometimes less is more. Overall, just get tighter and in the pocket! I dig!!

5. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the advice and the constructive critique... I will focus on your suggestions!

Dino