1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinions on bass effects...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Jan 18, 2003.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone, I am back again with a dilema that I have faced before. (Hopefully this is in the correct forum, if not I apologize). I've always had some trouble finding the exact sound I want. I play a Stingray 5 through and SVT-4PRO and an ampeg SVT-410HLF and I get a good, smooth sound which I like. Here's the issue... when I'm playing with my band I think a "crunchier" sound would work well because it would fit the music and cut through the two guitars better. By crunchy I mean similar to (not exactly) the sound that Dirk Lance from Incubus has in songs such as "Have You Ever?".

So I was wondering if anyone can either suggest some amp settings or an effect unit (rack or pedal) that can help me get this kind of sound. I know that the setup that I have is much different from that of Dirk Lance, but I don't want to get his exact sound, I'm just listing that to give people an idea of what I'm looking for. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it!

Thanks everyone!
    --Justin aka Stingraykid21

2. I believe that Dirk uses a Big Muff Pi for that crunchy distorted sound. It isnt the greatest overdrive/distortion pedal but it is pretty good for the money... plus its can easily be modified for a better, bassier sound.

3. have you tried a sansamp bass driver d.i? you can add a nice crispy crunch to your round punch with that little booger. quite a broad range of drive oriented sounds in that stompbox. you can use a universal a/c adapter with it, too.:D

4. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the ideas! I bought a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi pedal and found that it wasn't what I was looking for, so I'll be returning that tomorrow. But at least that's one option I have explored. I am thinking about getting a SansAmp RBBI Bass Driver. I've heard it's pretty much the exact same controls as the pedal but it's a rack unit and has a Mid control. Plus you can order an on/off toggle pedal for it. Hopefully that will help me get the sound I'm looking for. I'm hoping it will compliment my SVT-4 well, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

Thanks again for the ideas!!

--Justin