Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on bass effects...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Jan 18, 2003.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone, I am back again with a dilema that I have faced before. (Hopefully this is in the correct forum, if not I apologize). I've always had some trouble finding the exact sound I want. I play a Stingray 5 through and SVT-4PRO and an ampeg SVT-410HLF and I get a good, smooth sound which I like. Here's the issue... when I'm playing with my band I think a "crunchier" sound would work well because it would fit the music and cut through the two guitars better. By crunchy I mean similar to (not exactly) the sound that Dirk Lance from Incubus has in songs such as "Have You Ever?".

So I was wondering if anyone can either suggest some amp settings or an effect unit (rack or pedal) that can help me get this kind of sound. I know that the setup that I have is much different from that of Dirk Lance, but I don't want to get his exact sound, I'm just listing that to give people an idea of what I'm looking for. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it!

Thanks everyone!
    --Justin aka Stingraykid21

2. I believe that Dirk uses a Big Muff Pi for that crunchy distorted sound. It isnt the greatest overdrive/distortion pedal but it is pretty good for the money... plus its can easily be modified for a better, bassier sound.

3. have you tried a sansamp bass driver d.i? you can add a nice crispy crunch to your round punch with that little booger. quite a broad range of drive oriented sounds in that stompbox. you can use a universal a/c adapter with it, too.:D

4. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the ideas! I bought a Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi pedal and found that it wasn't what I was looking for, so I'll be returning that tomorrow. But at least that's one option I have explored. I am thinking about getting a SansAmp RBBI Bass Driver. I've heard it's pretty much the exact same controls as the pedal but it's a rack unit and has a Mid control. Plus you can order an on/off toggle pedal for it. Hopefully that will help me get the sound I'm looking for. I'm hoping it will compliment my SVT-4 well, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

Thanks again for the ideas!!

--Justin