Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on bass for heavy/funk/jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkmetal, Aug 21, 2005.

1. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    Ok, I did a bunch of searches and found nothing that met my needs for information.
    please I am just going to ask that nobody posts "go an test it out" or "every bass can work"

I am in the middle of starting a new project that is going to be a heavy 4 person set with a funky jazz feel with lots of drum and bass.
    The bass I currently am using mainly is a Warwick rock bass corvette 5 classic, which I love. but I feel that it might not be the right fit. first off the string spacing is a little to close for the frequent slapping and popping I am doing. and also it tends to be a little on the sloppy side.
    I can fix both of those problems by adjusting my technique a bit. But I heard it is horible to adjust to a bass. I did also find in my searches a few basses that I am interested in.

Spector Legend 5 or 6
    schecter elite 5, custom 5, studio 6

now these are only the ones caught my eye before when shoping online. I can go and try almost any bass BUT I like to know other ppls opinions about them before I go to try them because it gives me something to look for when I am trying them out. also the store that I would be going to is almost a 2 hr drive from my house so if I am going to make the trip I want to make sure it is worth it.
    Things I need are:
    5 or 6 strings
    humbucker or J pups or both
    has to look like a better than average bass
    cost under a crazy amount of money! (I'm 16 so money is tight but not to tight under $1000 is preferable but I can spend more if need be)

other than that its all stock with me. I can play on almost any neck and weight is no problem.

2. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I'd play with a Lakland if the place you're going has any. I don't know how "heavy" they are tone-wise, but with the right strings I'd bet that they'd work. I would check out the G&L's. The Tributes have gotten pretty much as good of reviews as the regular US version, and both have a ton of tone options. Play around (or better yet, ask someone who knows the settings) with the settings on it and the amp. I guess that's it for my knowledge. I don't think you can go too wrong as long as you get a high quality bass that you can play well.

3. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    doing some more searching and looked into lakeland
    Lakland Skyline 55-01 brand new seems nice

still would like to hear about the spectors and schecters tho

4. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    just a quick blerb
    i like different looking basses
    the warwick corvette is one of my favorites because of how unique its body style is :bassist:
    but i do still like the comfort of the more "standard" bass body

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1 for the Roscoe Beck. But really, you should be able to make your bass work. Sounds like all you need to do is adjust your string spacing out a tiny bit and raise your action. These are all simple things to do that you can do yourself with a few hex keys and maybe a screwdriver, and I think they're things that every bass player should know how to do.

But if you don't know how to do it, take it to a shop, tell them what you want, and let them do it. They could probably have your bass playing just like you want it within 10 minutes for maybe $30, $40 tops.

If you don't like the sound of your bass, that's one thing, but if you like the sound but you have trouble playing it for your style, you can easily fix that, and then you can save your money longer and get a top of the line bass instead of another budget brand. Not that there's anything wrong with budget brands...they blow away the stuff I was forced to play when I was starting out years ago, but there's no reason to buy a second budget bass just because the action and spacing on your current budget bass is off.

6. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    i do know that i can change the set up on my current bass, but i'm not so sure on the string spacing thing. i play with the action to much and have it set at (to me) the right hight. Its not that i want to replace this bass because it doesn't fit my style it just doesn't fit this style quite right for me. I still plan on using this bass for my other bands because it works great for them. I use all my basses for different stuff because they each put uot a slightly different sound.
    (are schecter, spector, and fender really budget bass brands :confused: )

i looked up the Roscoe Beck 5 i must say I like. the only problem for me is gonna be finding a store with one in stock to try it out on.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No, they're not budget lines, but they all have budget lines that are $500-600. And they're nice basses usually. But they all have compromises from the non-budget models. Some you can live with, some you can't. But I do know plenty of pro musicians who use them and sound great.

And yeah, the Roscoe will be a hard thing to find in a store. I don't even think they make them anymore.

8. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    I didn't think that one could change the string spacing :eyebrow:

are spector, schecter and fender really budget basses???

I like having different basses for different things. I also mentioned that I was looking into a six string. I thought about building a body out of alder then either build a neck or find one on line. (ne one now ne thing about tuss rods :confused: how long for a 35 inch scale 6 string) then I order a EMG-45j and a EMG-45p and a Hipshot bridge. add a set of grovers and an set of controls( I don't know what I need or want yet) and wahla I have the perfect bass for me. I should cost around $1000 and I have tons of wood working experience and a few sketches. but I and very unsure of a lot of things so I don't plan on attempting this any time soon. but who knows

my focus at the moment is buying a new bass, maybe

9. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    sry for re posting the budget question
    my display got messted up some how

10. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    If you can get past the "play it before you buy it" issue. I bought my Carvin lb70p and nothing has surpassed it's versatility. I've bought 5 basses since then in 3 years and none compare. I hadn't played a 5'er at the time but wish I had gotten the lb75 now. It's great for slap/funk, rock, or whatever and I use it for Gospel music at church too. I paid under $1000. They can be had for much less used.

11. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    I am not totaly hung up for only playing before buying its just a preference