Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on bass stands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NukeBass, Jul 20, 2000.

1. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    I'm planning on buying a new stand for my bass guitar tomorrow and want to know some opinions/experiences/etc about what others use. I've got one of the cheapest type and the rubber is dry rotting, so instead of replacing that I'll replace the whole thing!

Do stands specific to basses exist or is it all a guitar/bass combo thing?

2. RickenbackeR

RickenbackeR

Mar 28, 2000
    Aaaah, bass stands!
    Now there is an interesting, challenging topic for discussion. [​IMG]

Really, who cares about the stand, as long as it can hold your bass? I think guitar or bass, the stands are the same... and if they're not, you can certainly still use a guitar one for your bass.

The one i have (and always have), is a small black one that you can fold and becomes very easy to store and carry around.

Just go to the music store and look at the stands they use themselves. They usually have spare ones and will sell them for really cheap.

RICK- [​IMG] -SOUND

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Try the ultimate(brand name) Stand that folds up into one piece I think Musicians friend has them for around $25. You don't ever have to worry about pieces falling off while your carting your stuff around.They fold up flat so they transport easily. [​IMG]

4. Bass Case

Bass Case

May 20, 2000
    I had one of the one's that I guess you could call "standard" (usually silver or black with a rest for the body and the neck and have three folding legs, back leg smaller than the others) and the bottom, or body rest, eventually snapped on me. I ended up buying on that has just a body rest. Kind of looks like this from the side.

I
    I
    I
    I I
    III
    I
    IIIIIII

From the front it forms an upside V formation. Folds up. Never had a problem. Happy shopping

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Here's another vote for the Ultimate, it folds up small enough to fit in my gig bag and is all black except for the red locking knob..

I also like the Flip-It made by on stage stands, not quite as portable as the Ultimate, but it has a spring loaded flip down holder, almost impossible to accidentally know your bass off of the stand.. and it comes in cool colors and patterns, we all know that looks are what's most important, right? [​IMG]

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

6. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
  7. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I like the flip-its also. I currently have one I found from a gig I did last year. It's just a cheap stand, but for free I figure what the heck.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like the plain old Quik-Lock, but be careful ... they don't have a neck resraint, so they're not good if you or your bandmates are clumsy.

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I was on another forum not too long ago (maybe the G&L forum), and they were saying that the rubber used in some stands will actually interact with the finish of your guitar. Specifically, I think they were warning people about the low-end stands that used cheap, orange surgical rubber. Some of them recommended the stands that hang your guitar rather than stand it up. When I finally get tired of using my amp as a stand, I should look into this. Maybe I'll keep an eye on this topic to learn more.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    yes very true about rubber interacting with the finish on basses and guitars! There is a music store in my area that had a bunch of Gibsons ruined this way. They ended up selling them all for 1/2 price. They had a big fight with Gibson over this and ended up dropping the Gibson line!

11. embellisher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gweimer:
    Some of them recommended the stands that hang your guitar rather than stand it up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's whats cool about the Ultimate, the base of the stand is just for balance, all of the weight of the bass is held by the neck holder, it's like hanging the bass on a hook..

------------------
    bill longshort

12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think we're talking about two different stands made by ultimate. The one I use is almost entirely made of plastic and looks like a big upsidedown V with a smaller upsidedown v inside of it on a hinge. the smaller one swings out and locks into place with a metal rod,they fold up flat when you are done with them.

13. embellisher

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cb56:
    I think we're talking about two different stands made by ultimate. The one I use is almost entirely made of plastic and looks like a big upsidedown V with a smaller upsidedown v inside of it on a hinge. the smaller one swings out and locks into place with a metal rod,they fold up flat when you are done with them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now I'm confused.. mine looks like you are describing but it doesn't have a metal rod.. it has a small red plastic locking mechanism to lock it open or closed..

------------------
    bill longshort

14. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    Well, I got an ultimate, but it is designed to support the body with two little fold out handles and not let the guitar hang by the neck. It is much better than my previous stand in that the legs and neck holder/brace (?) are bigger and it comes with a lock for the legs.

I've never trusted those stands that hold the guitar/bass solely by the neck. Is there any danger in having all the weight of the bass supported by the neck? I would think so, especially on a bolt on, because all the weight pulls on the four screws at the joint.

15. Without a doubt the best stand I have ever used or seen is made by "Onstage Stands". This design comes in a 1 or 2 instrument configuration and is the most steady of any of them. It uses 2 tubular runners laying on the floor with an inverted, hinged V for the back support and welded lower supports for the body. It folds flat for storage. My 2 position model sold at Music-Go-Round for about $29. Extremely well made and very, very stable.

A word of warning about the double stands that hold your basses back to back. Take your instruments to the store and try them out! I bought one that I couldn't use because the additional length of the bass necks and the fact that one had a canted headstock made the headstocks hit each other without letting the basses rest in the holder. I saw that they would hold 6 strings easily but not the long basses.

16. I have two of the Ultimate GS-100 stands, and although I have had no problems with them, I know of two friends who had them pretty much self-destruct.

I think if mine fall apart I'm going to replace them with the Hamilton stand of a similar design, but all steel:
    http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/KB38.htm

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
  18. Dolan

Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    The Hamilton's michaeln is talking about seem to be the best ones that I have ever used.Very sturdy and well built.The only problem I have had with them is the rivets work loose.I just go to the hardware store and get some screws and some of those nuts with the plastic insert and go to work.