1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on Basses under $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablopicaso, Aug 28, 2012.

1. pablopicaso

pablopicaso

Aug 28, 2012
    I am looking for a bass under $500. Im looking at the Ibanez SR500 that I can get for around $400....I am not versed in Basses so I would love anyones opinion. I am not interested in the Fender products because of the heavy weight. I need a bass that is under 9 pounds. I am looking for a 4 string and not a 5 string.. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated..Pablo :meh:

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Given your concerns over weight and price range, I'd say an sr500 is a pretty solid choice - you can usually get 'em used, in very good condition for between $300-$400...

I'll add that there are Fender P Basses under 9lbs, but you have to look for them...

- georgestrings

3. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    Under $500? Look for good, clean, used gear...

4. thorper

thorper

Jul 11, 2011
    I recently got a Toby Standard IV by Epiphone. Only $200. It's not the most perfectly crafted instrument, but it is light and I think it is very comfortable. For comparison my previous bass was a Squier Jaguar, which is much more of a slab.

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    IMHO, you can VERY RARELY go wrong with an Ibanez! If used works for you, I would look for a EB Musicman SUB, not the imports, but the real deal US made SUB. They are far and away the best basses that can be had on a regular basis for under $500, not sure about the 9 pounds though, I think mine is under 10 and it is definately lighter than my Stingray.

6. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    The SR500 is a great bass for the money IMO. Used ones can be found for around $300. If you want new this weekend would be a good time to get one. GC and MF have the 15% off sale on Labor Day weekend.

7. atomicdog

atomicdog

Jun 18, 2011
    Danelectro