opinions on beginner bass wanted!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grayman, May 16, 2001.

1. grayman

May 16, 2001
    i'm getting ready to start playing electric bass, and i was wondering what everyone thought would be a good beginner bass. I've been looking at a Squier standard p-bass special, and my local music store has really nice looking basses made by peavey. I like the look of the peavey's, but i know nothing of how good they are (presumably pretty good - their amps are). I've also looked at a Dean Edge 4. I have about 300 dollars to spend to get a bass right now. Right now i'm just looking for ANY recommendations on ANY starter gear!! thanks a lot!
  2. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

well when I started I only had an Ibanez TR50. I didn't have any amp or straps. And that slowed down the learning process, but helped developed the style I now have. So I suggest to a beginner to get a package with Bass amp, chord, and an instructional video works too. Try the Ibanez IJS190 Bass & Amp Package. Musiciansfriend.com may have it. Happy hunting.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    My favourite starter basses are the Fender Jazz, made in Mexico (MIM) model, and Yamaha basses. You get a lot of bass for the money with either of these.

Although I must say, Squiers have surprised me with being really nice instruments these days (with regard to their cost, of course). The Dean Edge 4 is not bad either. Haven't played any lower-end Peaveys lately, so I can't comment on them.

I would personally stay away from the really cheap basses, because more often than not, you get what you pay for.
    I also have a personal thing against most Samick basses and the Ibanez Soundgears, I don't think they're very good at all.

Ever thought of buying a used bass? You sure can save a lot of $$$ that way.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The basses you suggested in your post all seem reasonable. They're not high-priced, but all are decent quality for the money. At this point, I'd recommend you just play each and see what you're most comfortable with.

Sit down with each one and play the same thing on each bass. Try to recognize the differences between each. That's a good place to start.

Also, as Oyster said, above, buying used isn't a bad way to go. But, if you buy used, make sure you have a chance to try it first and that you trust the source.
  5. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    If you ask for opinions on favorite basses in here, you will get more different responses than you can shake a stick at.
    My suggestion is to listen to basses, not bassists.
    if you are a beginner, you don't need to worry about getting a bass that will last forever. As you progress in you playing ability, you will find yourself becoming interested in different styles, tones, etc. etc.
    I suggest getting a bass that is comfortable to you, that you like the sound of, and most importantly, that you can afford.
    Welcome to the world of bassists, and good luck to you in finding your sound. I hope you learn to love bass as much as I do.
  6. MIM Fender Jazz and Yamaha are starter basses? Oh man, I have Yamaha RBX260F as my main bass right now, and I'm saving up for a MIM Fender. I agree though, the Yamaha would be a good starting bass, I only paid C$340 (about US$220), and it's pretty good, I like it.

My starter bass was a Squire Bronco, it's ugly, it has bad tone, and now it's electronics are messed up. But it did the job, I learned bass on it, and moved up to a better model, so I guess I can recommend it.
  7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    another vote for mim jazz.
    who in the hell came up with this saying ".....than you can shake a stick at " ? sorry, off topic.
  8. grayman

May 16, 2001
    thanks a lot everyone! i think i'm leaning now towards a Peavey model (don't know which yet), or a Squier Standard p-bass special from music123.com the peavey's are the one my local music store has, they don't have much else - so they are prolly the only ones i'll get to play, but like you said i don't need much, i AM learning
  9. funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I'm also a new player, having started playing bass a little over 2 months ago. I also had a budget of $300 for a bass and I ended up getting a mim jazz and I absolutely love it. One of the deciding factors, along with its comfort and sound, was the ability to fairly easily upgrade a few parts in the future and end up with a sound and feel comparable to basses costing much more. Then again if you can find a good used bass, that will get you the most for your money.

Don't forget to budget for a good amp, strap, gig bag/case, stand, cable, etc. All of that stuff adds up pretty quickly. I wish I would have found this place before I bought my amp. I bought a little 15w amp when I bought my bass and ended up replacing it within two months. Probably could've saved myself the trouble if I had found TB first. Not saying that the 15w amp is bad to start off with, I just needed a little more volume for playing with my guitarist friend.
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Yes, it is my opinion that you should start with a bass that is as good as possible, and when you supposedly can get MIMs and Yamahas for around (under?) $300 in the states... what is your excuse for buying e.g. a Rouge? If you exclusively play a bass that is crap, regardless of you're a beginner or not, chances are you will soon grow sick of it and at the same time get sick of playing. And since there already are too few bass players on this planet, we don't want that, want we? :D
  11. Hey Greyman,

Congrats on your deciding to take up the bass...you are entering into the ranks of the elite!:D

I defer to the more expearienced memebers...try as many basses as you can(price be damned!)The important thing is to find out what feels and sounds good to you!

IMHO,you can`t go wrong with a Fender,be it a MIM,Squire,MIA,or whatever....I love my P bass to death!

A bass package deal is not a bad way to start,I started with the Ibanez Jumpstart kit and it served it`s purpose well.Personally I think in the beginning you ;should be more concerned with fit and feel...you can(and will)upgrade to a "better" sounding bass as you progress.

Definatly buy used if you can!!There are some KILLER deals out there to be had!

Rock on!
  12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    You owe it to yourself to check out the MTD Kingston basses!
  13. Hey Im a newbe to the forum as well but ive played for about half a year and I got started by checkin out Ebay. I got a brand new Ibanez GSR-200 for 165.00 with warranty and everything. And then I got a new Crate BX-100 with paper work for 200.00! Just because the guy needed money. It works great and succeeds in making my windows shake at not even a quarter of the way up. You can find a lot of nice basses(Im not sayin my GSR is great but its good to start) so go try out different ones then buy it on ebay. It wont drain your budget. Good luck!
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    If your choice is Peavey or no-name, fly by night companies... go with Peavey.

It's nice to be able to try any bass you want to buy. If this is not a option, I would say you can't go wrong with Fender.

or if that is a bit too much, a good start might be squier:

Just for starting out you might like this Rogue amp:

It is 30w into a 10" speaker and has quite a few goodies for only $100. DO NOT BUY THE BLEMS, THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT!!

Good luck!
  15. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    I wouldn't buy an instrument without playing it first (the actual instrument). A couple of points to think about when purchasing from ebay:

As a newbie, you might not be as particular or picky as me, but I have to play 'em to know if I like 'em.

The main thing about ebay is that it's really set up to help the seller. Because price is largely a function of demand, ebay helps the seller find a number of potential buyers for an item, so the price goes up and the item moves within 5-7 days. Where it's good for the buyer is that it helps them find that odd item: Wonder Woman PEZ dispenser, 1969 Hot Wheels Camaro, etc., or if the buyer is in a sparsly populated area.

Used basses are usually plentiful, especially in populated areas, so with ebay you're competing against others for something that's probably been sitting down at the local music shop for a month and they're looking to move it. The best way to use ebay is to bid the maximum that you're willing to pay for an item, and stop. If the bids go higher, look for something else. Deals CAN be found on ebay.
  16. Mr. X

Mr. X

Mar 29, 2001
    I'll vote for the MIM Jazz as a starter bass. And you just might discover, that it is the only bass, that you will EVER need. :)
  17. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Well, I am a begginner, and I have:

A Jim Deacon (Fender Copy) Percission Standard®;)
    I have been told by two very good bassiest that it is a very good bass for me. But it's not much for slapping with. :(

I have a Peavey AMP (40WATTS).

Good luck on getting a bass.

Someone has proberly already said this; but don't judge it by how she looks :)
  18. there was a talent show/ showcase of our music program at my school last night, in the guitar ensmble there were three bassists and 2 g****r players. there are so many bassists at my school, it is the cool thing to play now
  19. i am always recomending these it seems, but i think they get overlooked sometimes, a cort curbow is a great bass for about 350.00. i started on a peavey, a t-40, it was great, but the curbow blows it away.
  20. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    The beautiful thing these days is that there's no reason that a beginner play a bass that's crap. There are crap basses out there, but stick with the MIM Fenders or the low end Yamahas, and you can't go wrong.

Totally different back in my younger days before Ibanez set the new standard for import guitars.