Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Best all-around small rig for Upright and electric

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brennan, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    I would love to hear people's opinion regaurding thier rig or insight into a small versital rig.I just sold all of my old heavy and crappy sounding gear and am in search of a powerfull lightwieght rig for giging on upright and electric.I have a budget of about $1700. The Walter Woods is out because of price but I was thinking of an iAmp,Acoustic Image Focus, Aguilar AG500, Ashdown AMB 500, or a Avalon U5 with a stewart amp. For a cab I was thinking of a shroeder 1210 or 1212 (the weight seems similar) or a Bergantino 112 (or some sort of 12 inch box although, I like a higher rated cab for loud gigs).Thanks for any feedback. Geoff

2. I cna tell you're on the right track. Stewarts are awesome and I hear Schoeders are awesome (though I'd also check out the Acme b-2's. Cheaper, flatter response, and you look like you'll have enough watts to drive it.

Hope someone comes in here about the preamp. Basstasters.com and bgra.net might help.

3. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks man, I don't know how much the acme's weigh but I live on the 4th floor of a walkup so bang for the size is very important to me. Geoff

4. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I recommend an Eden WT-400 with a D-112xlt. I've got a the head and it sounds awesome. As for the cab, I played my head through one and it was excellent...lots of low end response and deep bass from a single 12" speaker. Eden stuff is top notch and very compact.

5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    The Acmes seem fairly light. Also the Acme B-1 seems usable. Would be interested in the Schroeder too.....

6. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    The Acme's are very light and portable and also very inefficient. I believe they're rated in the low 90s db wise. I love my B1 for upright gigs at low volumes but use EA CXL112s for doubling gigs. My head is a WW ultra but both the Iamp 800 and the Focus are supposed to be great.

For your budget I would probably go with a Shroeder and either Iamp or Focus. You'll probably get the most out of your rig that way.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    You could try the Ashdown ABM 300 C110. It's a small 1x10 combo from Ashdown I have one and I love it with my electric, it's plenty loud on it's own but I'm getting a Ashdown mini 1x15 to add some thunder to it bassically I'll have an Ashdown mini stack that pumps 320 w and it won't be taller than my leg (32" BTW). I also presume this would leave you some money left over which is never a bad thing.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how loud are your "electric" gigs? what are you up against. cant really answer your question without knowing so.

9. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    Loud enough for a full salsa band with horns percussion and drums but not enough for loud outdoor festivals. They always give you extra speakers and monitors (i rarely use monitors) anyway. But you get the picture .the Equivalent of a GK 800rb and a 4x10.Hopefully a little more. Also I have an Eden 2x10 if i need it. Thanks man.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have an iAmp 500 with an Acme 4 ohm B-2 that sounds great for both ABG and EBG. I imagine it would sound great for upright too. IME the EAs are fairly uncommon in having both a good flat basic sound and loads of EQing possibilities.

For electric, though, despite the fine sound, that rig probably won't match the *volume* of a G-K 800RB plus a reasonably efficient 4-10, if that's your yardstick. A B-1 would be even quieter, and two B-1s wouldn't be much louder, if at all, than one B-2 (given equivalent total impedance). However, if you got an iAmp 800 with *two* B-2s, for that modular approach, you'd probably be covered.

The Schroeders sound intriguing, but I've never heard them and thus have no opinion on them that would be worth anything.:)

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If I had that much to spend, I'd get the Focus and a Berg or Epifani UL 12". The power specs for the Focus are freaking sci-fi.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Used WW amps do show up regularly, you just have to jump fast when you see one listed.

The low powered ones (150-200W at 4 ohms) go for only $7-800 and I bought an older MI-225-8 (350W at 4 ohms) for $1000.

Unlike some folks I have not yet felt a need for more than 400 watts and a 200 watt amp would be enough for most of my gigs.

BTW I use the Berg HT112 with my WW. As far as not handling enough power, remember it's just ONE SPEAKER. When you really need a lot more volume, use more speakers.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    AI Focus & Schroeder 1210 and you're covered.

[If you could pickup a 2nd hand iAmp-800 that would be even better.]

14. You have a lot of great gear to pick from. You could do some searches on the named gear and have hours of informative ready which i suggest if you can't try the stuff live yourself. Or if you have the mullah$$ you can order and try out which is the best.

I've got the Berg Ht/Ex 112's and Walter Woods Ultra. I love this rig and I play in a loudish 6pc band with horns, so I'm all EB only. The Bergs have done a fine job for me and I recommend the pair for louder gigs. The Schroeders are another fine choice, usually one of those cabs will do the job. I'm still in testing with the Schroeders. Schroeders have a different cut factor than many cabs I've tried. Tonewise I prefer the Bergantino so far over anything I've tried and they are very cutting also but voiced rounder. I will probably end up having both and being able to choose which gigs I need to cut or have my preferred tone. Expensive... yes....choices...absolutely....Is there one piece of gear that does eveything all the time.... I doubt it... maybe I'm deaf... could be.... maybe I'm crazy... definatley.... happy... Hayll yes. :D

Heads, pres, amps... Lot of choices out there too. You want light? Like I said I have the WWU. I have the Demeter201s and Crest CA9 which ain't light. Stewarts, QSC, Crest make lighter amps. Pre's are again a matter of choice. There are iAmps, Thunderfunks.. yada . I've not tested many of theses amps and pres and combos. Search my good friend. Good luck.

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    +1

heck, make it an iAMP-800, and really hear that acme open up. :cool:

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Head-wise, the Walter Woods Ultra is, of course, the shiznit, but to fit in your budget, let's say iAMP 800. Rack rigs allow you for a ton of options, and can ultimately get you the most flexibility and most power, but will be a bit more to lug around, of course.

For cabs, man, you have a lot of choices. But, for when I double, where are some configurations that I find work very, very well:

- The aforementinoed Bergie HT112/EX112 "Mini Stack." I just recently picked up this setup, so I don't have any real "miles" under this rig, but man, do I like what I hear so far!

- Two EA Wizzy's. These are 4 ohm each, so you've got 1,000 watts from the iAMP 800 powering both cabs (be careful with your gain!). The Wizzy is a both very full and slightly warm sounding, and very clear. I used to think that these goals were mutually exclusive, but somehow the Wizzy does both. No tweeter, but plenty of high end articulation. This rig sounds stellar on upright! And two Wizzy's are definitely more than 2x1 Wizzy.

- Hevos Midget. I only have one of these, but it's the loudest darn 1x10 I have ever heard! Clarity like you wouldn't believe, and very much a full range cab, though not quite as full sounding as, say the Wizzy or an ACME Low B-1.

- Two, or better yet three, EA VL-208's. IMHO, these cabs are about as good as it gets for full range, articulate, musical cabs at moderate volumes. Midrange is both detailed and smooth like buttah, and on URB, two VL-208's is magic. I do find, though, that you really need the third cab to bring out respectable low B performance for electric. But let me tell you, the difference between 3 and 2 of these little beauties is astounding!

- VL-110's are another great little cab. Not quite as excellent in the midrange as the VL-208's, but perhaps a tad more low end. Mix and match with VL-208's very well.

- VL-108's are also da bomb (I only have one, and haven't gigged with it yet). Super clarity and surprising volume out of a miniscule package. Of course, if any of these come up for sale, I'm hoping to jump on them myself!

- Accugroove makes a number of great options. For their smaller cabs, I have tried the Mini Whappo and the Tri 208, both of which I absolutely love, but both of which would probably have difficulty putting out enough volume for me in many doubling situations. The Tri 208 is really a studio monitor type of cab, but would excel in a small setting, particulaly on upright. The Mini Whappo was the cab that sold me on Accugroove, but it's not a monster on the low B, as many of Mark's other cabs are, and it is only rated for 250 watts. If the Tri 210L isn't too big for you (or the Whappo, Jr. for that matter), I have used these with double bass and electric, and on all accounts, they excel! While I haven't tried the Tri 110 or Tri 112, I would expect them to be excellent options.

- With regard to ACME, I only own one, a 4 ohm Low B-2, and I will say that it is an exceptional cab that can get a bit too thick in the low end, if you aren't careful. I found that I really preferred it with my iAMP 800 as opposed to my Walter Woods Ultra, as the iAMP 800 seemed to be able to coax tighter low end out of it. Mids and highs are a tad polite, but very musical and smooth. I would think that two Low B-1's would be somewhat more well suited to a doubling gig.

- One last suggestion would be an Epifani T-112 with a T-110UL. This is a great combo of Epi cabs, and pretty much my favorite "Epifani sound."

Any of the above suggestions would, IMHO, serve you quite well. As always, it comes down to personal preference - and what is available for the best deal, of course!

Good luck, Tom.

17. Mesa WalkAbout with any head that turns your crank (or pleases your ear ;^)

You'll love the tone, the portability and the ease of use... you can't go wrong,

18. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    I double on DB & EB and have similar problem. Use a Mesa M2000 & 2 EA VL110's or EA VL208. I agree with Mr. T-
    about the EA's. They do sound good :for upright -especially the VL208. It's got a smoother mid crossover/ blend for the frequencies of upright. I use it for quieter gigs for the DB.

The M2000 is a versatile:with 2 different preamps- tube &
    solid state (modeled after the WW). 600 RMS in 4 ohms or 300 in 8 ohms.You can eq each side differently for DB & EB. I use a 5 string EB & King DB with B-Band Pu's which require different eq's as you know.
    And it's nice just to turn the blend knob to the different preamp & Eq when you also switch basses: instead of adjusting the eq's of the amp or EB everytime you do change
    basses.
    the M2000 can also be pain to work with too: it can take awhile to set up it up" right". Not plug & play amp but
    a very flexiable one. I 've had mine for years.

19. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Berg HT/EX 112 are great portable cabs. I presently own several EA cabs including 5 VL208's and 2 VL110's and love them to death, but if you want a cab that sounds good, will take the power, and is portable, the Berg is it! . I've owned the VL108's and must say I was greatly disappointed in their performance outside my bedroom. The Wizzy is a good sounding cab but won't take the power the Berg will. Just my $.02 worth!

20. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks for all of your suggestions. One reason I was leaning toward a focus is because I can take it on the road (i can't take a rack in addition to my UB and EB and my already tight carry-on). Especially if I'm out for more than a month. I hump my own gear. Although, I dont want to get some bland hi-fi piece of gear just because it's small. Especially if the electric sound suffers. What do you think?
    Your cab suggestions are exellent , Thanks. I'm limited by the cost of two Bergies ($1000+) and the wizzys are really costly. I heard Shroeder, Epifani, Bergantino use the same speakers in which case I'll just get the configuration I want.