Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Bob Daisley's Blizzard of Ozz tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SubEndSorcerer, Dec 16, 2004.

1. SubEndSorcerer

SubEndSorcerer

Nov 27, 2004
    Just curious to hear what people think about the bass tone on this album.

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Awesome tone...I do prefer his tone, at least the way it sounds recorded, of No More Tears a little bit better. Bob is an awesome bassist and if it's gotta be tasty..it's gotta be Mr. Daisley!

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    one of the best bass players in metal for sure

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think his tone was perfect for that album. It just went well with the mix.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    didn't Ozzy and Sharon screw him out of royalties?

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Daisley's tone is probably so good because he had some control over the way he sounded. He has a producer credit on the album along with Randy and Ozzy.

7. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Interesting tone: Gibson EB-3 played through Marshall guitar stacks. On the subsequent Diary of A Madman album, he recorded with a P-bass. Much different sound for sure. I do like the Blizzard tone, though. :bassist:

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Requires your definition of "screw". He got royalties off the original, but (from what I understand) some of the tracks were recently updated/re-recorded for the "greatest of" compilation, which means he won't get royalties for THOSE sales only. He still gets the royalties off the original album.

Frankly, I think it sucks, but that's the biz . . .

9. +1
    Very underrated!!

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Wow thanks for the links. Those interviews are fantastic. Really eye-opening. I always thought Ozzy was a loser that just surrounded himself with talent and this confirmed it. Of course, it really makes me angry to see how the talent got screwed and he got paid.

11. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Oh Boy here we go. This is going to wind up being a big thread.

But yes BoB Daisley is one of the best bass player and very Very underrated.

Also If you look on Ozzy's CD "The Ozzman cometh" you'll see that his name is spelled wrong along with the guy that wrote shot in the dark can't remember his name now.

12. That was an EB-3? I always figured it was a P with the tone turned all the way down- yeah, that does sound like an EB come to think of it. I always hated that tone- but think his lines and performance are brilliant!

13. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    It really pisses me off that Sharon and Ozzy had the bass/drum tracks rerecorded on the first two albums. Talk about ripping off the fans!!!! I also noticed the misspelling on Ozzman Cometh. Furthermore, the little synopsis under No More Tears credits the riff to Mike Inez, but I understand that Bob Daisley actually wrote and recorded it.

14. I hear ya!!!

15. I read an interview with him talking about how he and the drummer during the RR era are suing Ozzy over the royalty stuff. He also talked about the re-recording of the material is a disrespect to RR.
    Which it is.

16. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Bob is HUGELY underrated, and an all around good guy. A "bass player's bass player" Met him once...Aussie I think...

Slug