Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Chrysler 300C AWD?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ericman197, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Does anyone have any experience with this car? I want something big, powerful and under $35,000. It'd also be a huge bonus if it's a model that can be made to look cheaper by removing logos (ie: replacing the 300C V8 AWD whatever logos with a 300 logo).

It is also my understanding that Chryslers are no longer made in America. Does anyone know where the 300C is produced? This may have a bearing on any possible purchase in the future. I don't know **** about cars.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Haven't had one in the shop yet, so I can't give an opinion on one.

I did have an '04 AWD Pacifica in today, and I can tell you if you enjoy piss poor visibility and blind spots galore, this is the car for you. I swear most new cars have worse visibility than ever before.

And don't get me started on hard to read/poorly placed controls for simple things like the radio or heat/AC panel (this applies to all cars, not just DCX cars). Seems I spend more time trying to understand the poorly labeled buttons and switches than I spend keeping my eyes on the road.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, I had the opportunity to ride in a Magnum...the seats are low and the front end is very long. I can't imagine driving one of those regularly and not being able to see what's directly in front of you.

4. Yeah visibility isn't the greatest, but it is a very sharp looking car and has plenty of power. I'd get the RWD over the AWD though, unless you need it for snow reasons.

Other cars I'd suggest looking at are the Nissan Maxima, Volvo S60, Acura TL, Honda Accord Hybrid, and the upcoming VW Passat.

If you have to buy an American car, you might as well have a look at the Cadillac CTS as well.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    The 300 is a lot of car for the $$$. It out-performs many cars costing twice what it costs. It's very refined, solid, smooth, yet handles very well for such a large vehicle. The Hemi kicks if you can afford the gas. I know a couple people who swore by Lexus/Infinity/BMW's who now own the Chrysler, and they all love it. The interior is beautiful, very ergonimic, but does have a bit too much plastic... had to cut costs somewhere I guess.

I agree with Mike N. about the visibility factor... to an extent. The rear window is narrow, top to bottom and it does have some wide A pillars, but not so bad that it's dangerous or anything. As far as ergonomics go with placements of controls, etc. I'll have to disagree. Most new cars are very ergonomically friendly. Yes, there are a lot more buttons on vehicles in this day and age, but you hardly have to lift an arm. The 300 has radio controls on the steering wheel as well as hvac control... I believe. Once you get accustomed to the placement(which won't take long), it'll become natural to you. Even in the Pacifica(I agree the DVD player is placed a bit low in the console, but everything else is remarkable). It's like switching from a Jazz to a P bass, it takes a couple moments to get acclamated to it. Go for it.

It's assembled in Canada.

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Cool, and Canadian made isn't so bad ;)

7. If you're looking for big, fast and under 35 grand...that's the one. Having said that, I would be looking at other models based on personal preference and Chrysler/Dodge/Mitsu/Jeep reliability in my circle of friends and family. I'll expand on that if asked, but I'm not looking to start a this "brand is better" discussion. I'll agree with the other comments that visibility appears to be strained in the latest models from Mopar, but I have not sat behind the wheel to say for sure. I hope you enjoy the purchase.

Mike

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I merely enjoy that it's rather squat, and has a front grill that looks like it could eat a tree.

9. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I have a 2004 300M which is friggin great. No problems at all, comfortable, fun to drive. I looked at the 300C, which is a great car, I just didn't want to spend 10Grand more at the time (it was last August 31, so some 04s were left). The 300C kicked major booty with the Hemi. You put the pedal down and just go, but quietly on like the Dodge trucks (marketing aspect I guess). Nice interior, thought the leather coulda been nicer, but its not a 60000$ car.
    As previously posted, a bargain comparably.
    go to www.edmunds.com for more info.

10. Are you looking for a "sleeper"?

Mike

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I have a real problem with the way things are/are not labeled in today's cars. I long for the day when controls had words on them like "lights" "wipers" "a/c" "heater" etc....instead of little pictures and arrows that so few seem to understand. Even the idiot lights on the dashboard are nothing more than confusing pictures. I get customers coming in frequently asking what the little symbol here or there translates to.

Next thing you know the engineers will re-design the speedometer to show a picture of a city for 30-35 mph, a picture of an expressway for 55-65 mph, and a picture of a cop car with flashing lights at 75mph to indicate the speeding ticket you're about to get.

I don't understand illiterate. Imo if you can't read you shouldn't be driving.

12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I can't speak to the 300, but I have owned a 97 Avenger and a 97 Grand Caravan. They were both great cars until the mileage got up to the 80k -100k range. Then horrible things started to happen. :rollno: I have heard similar stories from other Chrysler owners.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Those new 300's look bad azz!

14. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    "if the ride is fly, you must buy" to quote someone I would rather not quote.

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I understand where you're coming from. But after a couple of days, it'll become second nature, imho.

I also believe that chrysler reliability has greatly improved in just the last few years(as all American manufacturer's have). As long as you take care of it and service it on schedule, it'll last a good, long while.

Personally, i've been eyeballin' that new Charger... delicious.

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Whats the difference between 4wd and awd?

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    All wheel drive = 4WD all the time.

4WD = when you want.

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Incorrect. There are cars with 4WD that allow you to run in 2WD most of the time (Jeeps for example). Most cars with AWD (Audi, Subaru, BMW, for example) run only two wheels most of the time, but can transfer power to all 4 as the situation demands.

More details here: http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv4.jsp?CONTENT<>cnt_id=565207&FOLDER<>folder_id=113261

As for the chrylser, Snoop Dogg likes it, so how can you possibly go wrong? :)

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I trust Snoop

20. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'd second the Nissan Maxima 3.5SL, that car can scream. I'm sorry, I'm bi ased, I think the car is ugly :/.