Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Clear Channel's Growing Media Monopoly

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by grahambo420, Nov 12, 2003.

1. so for my mass comm class, we had to pick paper topics, i chose media monopolies so that i could discuss clear channel and it's growing "empire", i figured i'd ask for input from anyone out there, if u've got ne, feel free to rant about it, thanks

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The "big media" thing will be about until a few "big media" types sell off assets in a downturn to get cash.

All the while, "small media" indies will still be about struggling to be heard.

3. P. Aaron

While nationalized POP products have saturated the airwaves, the regional culture still exists. And in the Detroit rock/pop market, things are pretty bland. Sameness exudes from most stations and it gets/got tiresome very quickly.

The only radio that is interesting is college or Public Radio.
    There aren't any "true" jazz, rock, blues, or classical stations that exist commercially around here.

4. thanks for all the input so far, if anyone else has an opinion it would be most appreciated, and P. Aaron, in rochester new york there is one commerical station that isn't corporate controlled, its 103.9 WDKX its all urban, and no corporate urban station has been able to break in, thanks again

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn... don't listen to the radio, the TV doesn't even get aerial channels, and I get my news from the internet.

Don't rightly care that much, I reckon. I'm opposed to the idea of monopolistic competion in theory, but in application, I guess I just don't care that much.

6. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The powers-that-be in my little town just built a nice outdoor ampitheater. They were perhaps a little over-ambitious and finding big acts and big ticket sales to fill the thing has been a challenge. Clear Channel dominates local radio and by default has a monopoly on promotions for this venue. Not only have I heard a lot of grousing about the way CC has handled things, but now there are allegations that big chunks of local taxpayer money has been paid to CC by the venue's management company for some very dubious reasons. At the very least, CC is making a LOT of money that is coming out the pockets of taxpayers like me. I could do without that.

Oh, and I really dislike cookie-cutter radio, too...

7. P. Aaron

I am perhaps sentimental. Being brought up listening to the radio. So it's ingrained in me to "hope" that something good will get played. Or, that radio will get "cool" again.

POP Radio has really killed itself. But there's a market share they are getting, it just doesn't include me.

I listen to WCBN Ann Arbor on the "netstream".

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Isn't Phil Hendrie's flagship station (I can't think of it off the top of my head, some AM station in CA) apart of Clear Channel? If so, then they can monopolize all they want...