Opinions on combo amps wanted!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mrbaloo, May 13, 2002.

1. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002

I was just thinking of replace my old Peavey Basic 50 combo amp with a new one at about 100-130 W.
    The makes of amps I've got in mind are:
    - Carvin PB100-15
    - Behringer Ultrabass BX1200
    - Hartke Kickback 12
    - Laney Richter RBW200
    - Kustom KBA100

Is there anyone that has got some experience with the above listed amps?
    Personally I favoure a light weight case and a modern focused sound (btw: the Gallien-Kreuger MB150 is just too much money).
  2. I'm not sure of your application, but I would suggest that you go for about 200 Watts. My only experience with the amps listed is the Hartke Kickback 12" and I would not recommend it for live performance. A great sounding practice amp though. I ended up with a Fender combo. I really like it.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you were hoping to get a significant volume increase, 100-130 watts is not going to make you happy.

My rule of thumb is to upgrade to at least FOUR TIMES the wattage.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hej, Baloo!

Where and what (music style, instrument) will you be playing?
    What is your budget?
    What kind of effort can you put into finding the best (like travel, taking chances;) :D )?
  5. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Ok! More than 200 W would be better than 130 W, but I think the portability of the combo will decrease at a critical point of about 155 W or so. I'm looking for an amp with a price tag within the range of $400-600.

I'm planning to put my Dean Edge 4 and Morgan AB-05CE (an electro acoustic bass guitar) through the amp. Most of the time (not rehersing at home) I'm backing up a vocal choire in our local church, but other small or medium size gigs are not uncommon. Music style varies between smooth and mellow songs to pop/soul.
  6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Have a look at the Ashdown electric blue 130 watt with 15" speaker.
    I just got one - very pleased with it, it's also VERY loud!

7. I'll second that vote!!!! I just got one too! Very light and portable, and what a rumble!
  8. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    How about an SWR Workingman's series?

I had a WM12 once and it was great little amp.

If it wasn't enough there's the WM15 which is also great.
  9. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, hi, partner!
    I've been doing some research in the same business! I find, that if the mentioned money is Swedish price, you'll be in trouble finding lots of watts.
    The highest wattage I found was Torque 2001EB, with 200W/15" (exciting item!) and Peavey Combo115 w.210W/15" (Peavey is,,,OK).
    Then there are a couple of Laney's (disputed quality), TraceElliot Commander (hmmm!), and - Ashdown Electric Blue. Though you will not easily find an AshEB15 for that money...OTOH, 12" is OK, more focused tone and just about as bassy.

Good Luck, and have fun testing them!
  10. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have had a couple of Eden Nemesis 210P's.

These are great amps, IMHO. Based on my actual use and comparisons, they put the SWR Workman 15 and any of the Peavey combos on the trailer. (The Workman 12 is, IMHO, a practice amp.)

The 210P is also light and relatively easy to carry.

I don't use mine any more - my son has one and a friend borrowed the other - but only because I got a much more expensive setup featuring an Epifani T-112 and separate head.
  11. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Another vote for the Nemesis 210P.

Nice amp.

Good tone.

Very portable.

12. Not sure what Ashdown amps cost in Sweden, but I just picked up the EB15 (the 130 watts combo, not the new 150 watt combo) for £289 ( $405). Sound COntrol have them on their website :-

for £299 ($420), not sure if they'll ship to Sweden and what the import charges would be though!
  13. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yes, so we hear. I actually decided to try one out, and went to the shop. Tehy poked around and found that...
    The Nemesis are not available in Sweden!

Anybody know of any retailers in the EU? And their prices.
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Well, at around 50 lbs., it is pretty hefty. It is, however, the lightest 2X10 combo I've been able to find, and it's lighter than many 2X10 cabs alone.

For a small to medium sized room (100-200 people), it works well.