Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on crap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Automatic_Man, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Automatic_Man

Automatic_Man

Apr 3, 2003
    alright. At the moment, I play an SWR LA-12 that's sixty watts. That's crappy as crap if you ever want to try to play a show in somewhere bigger than a basement. I've been saving up for a while, and I'm thinking about maybe getting this SWR (I love their stuff) 2x10 combo I saw at a local shop. The guy said it was 260 watts and you could add a 4 ohm extension speaker and it would push 400 watts. Would that be enough to rip faces off at shows or would I need something better?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. Won't even make your pants flap. Face-ripping starts at about 2 kilowatts.

3. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Depends on what kind of music, what kind of show, how large a venue. Also, will you be mic'd or DI'd into the PA. Short of earbustin' death metal, with reasonable stage volume, that would work fine for anything. With two geetar players with Marshall stacks and volumes that go to 12, you'd be out of luck.

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    That's a good combo. Add a 15" extension speaker to it and you'll probably be set with all you need.

P.S. You should edit your original post so the title isn't "opinions on crap".

5. These powered by This is what rips off your face.

The (12) 18" subwoofers driven by those Crown amps was the bottom end of the PA system in place when my daughter's band (Aroarah) played in Bakersfield last June. Chelsea's D410XLT was used as a stage monitor, and those subs carried her bass. Chest pounding thump, for sure.

6. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    You won't have lots of power any way you slice it.
    I believe that when you add another cabinet and also go down to 4 ohms, you will probably have higher distortion from the amp-the end result being only a slight gain in volume. It may sound bigger and fuller with the extra cab.
    But....even that is a maybe. If the distortion is higher it can make the rig sound smaller! Also, you can get phasing between the different drivers that scoop out certain frequencies.

You are buying a medium size rig for medium volume gigs. At least IMHO. It may sound fine, but expect people to have intact faces.

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    It should be a federal offense to have that
    kind of power unleashed on Bakersfield!
    At least it will remove all doubt as to why
    your daughter doesn't listen to you anymore!

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If you want to blow people away with your sound......do NOT buy a combo.

You will have to step up to the world of power amps, pre-amps, racks, cabs, and other nifty electronics.

My advice..........keep the LA12 for now, and KEEP saving money

-Mike

9. A good friend just gave me his Peavey TKO115 combo amp.

He moved to Portland, OR and had left the Peavey here in Sacramento for the times when he comes down here to visit/play. The only strings attached to the gift is, he would like to play his/our amp when he comes down to visit. Ooh... hurt me... he plays bass and I get to drag out my Hammond and play keys with the band.

Anyway, the Peavey is a 1x15 combo with a Black Widow inside. It has no bottom, but is pretty loud with a humping mid bass range. It is entirely adequate for bar gigs.

The thing I find truly amazing is, I can carry it. My stage rig requires a hand truck and 5 trips to the truck.

:D

It feels like there is something unAmerican about being able to actually pick up and carry a bass amp in one trip.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    bgavin.....I play a 215 with Black Widows, and my cab has an excellent bottom end sound.

Weird.

11. I don't expect the TK0115 to have bottom.

It uses the 1502-DT8 BW driver which requires 3.0 to 3.5 cubic feet for full performance. The TKO cab, including electronics is much smaller than this. I suspect there isn't much more than 1 cubic foot net internal volume, which is why the "no bottom" thing.

The BW are respectable performers in 3.25 cubic feet (SBB4) down to 3.06 cubic feet (QB3). Loud, too.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Right now I play through a Hartke 4000 and a 2x10 cabinet with horn. It is a good rig for bar gigs, but it depends on the room. I'm still planning on adding a 1x15 cabinet to round out the bottom, and make the most of the amp.

But the guitarists in my band are still way too loud. The minute any guitar player gets new stuff; You hear about it for days afterward.