1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinions on Crest Pro-series 4-6.5kw amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amos, Aug 25, 2012.

1. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I'm soon going to be investing in a portable sound system for an entertainment company my friend and I are starting on the East Coast. I'm looking into the Crest Pro 8200 and 9200 amps for powering subs. The subs are Danley TH-115 or TH-118--haven't decided yet. Regardless, they are very power hungry subs and I want to feed them as many watts as I can afford.

On the bass side---has anyone used these in a bass rig?

I plan on using them with two 8 ohm fEarful 15/6/1 cabs.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Before you buy these amps check on exactly what their power needs are. From a dedicated 120V 15A supply the best you can get continuously is around 1800W and that's with a 100% efficient power supply.

3. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Those are bulletproof, professional power amps, and come with a pricetag to match. I believe the 9200 pulls more than 20A when pushed and comes equipped with at least the option of a 30A twist-lock plug. Not a big deal for PA duty if you carry a distro...for bass guitar i'd stick with an 8200. Either way, they are great equipment.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    thanks! I appreciate the input :D, as long as I can get 2000 watts per side, I'm good, so I think I can save a few bucks [and amps it sounds like!] by getting the 8200.

5. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    1500-2000 watts per subwoofer is what I'm aiming for. the TH-118 can easily handle 3000 watts (I've seen/heard it). This is part of the reason why they sound/feel like four JBL 18s. It's insane. Bridged and daisy chained, two 8 ohm (hoping I can get them in 8 ohm) Danley TH-115s would get 2250 watts per speaker from a Crest 8200, which is more than adequate.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th-115/

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  7. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Bothell, WA
    Yeah, I'd definitely be worried about having enough available circuits to push that kind of load, with all the lighting etc added in. What kind of venues are you looking to serve? What spl level?

8. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    Not sure about the SPL level, this is speculative at the moment, but we are starting out with doing on-location live sound, so the venue will vary from even to event, we will be limited to the circuits on hand, from everything from standard household electrical to college campus buildings.

9. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Again you must ensure what AC power you'll need BEFORE laying out the cash for the equipment.

10. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I must be confused, by AC power are you talking about amperage?

11. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    Beat me to it... :)

In all seriousness though, OP, you will need a distro on a dedicated circuit, preferably 30A.

If you end up at a venue with only 120V 15A circuits, you may end up with a power starved amp.(You can get that great effect where all the lights in the venue dim whenever the kick hits..)

12. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    120V 15A
    120V 20A
    240V 15A
    240V 20A

These are power requirements of just a few power amps that I have come across. remember that you cannot get out of an amplifier more power continuously than you put in. It's pointless connecting an amplifier to a supply that normal operation of that amplifier will trip the breaker.

13. Hactar

Hactar

Sep 25, 2011
    Boulder, CO
    To add to what BassmanPaul said:

If you have an amp that advertises, for example, 1800W RMS, then if that amp 100% efficient, which no amp is, and you are running the amp to the max, then there is at least 1800W being drawn. That power has to come from somewhere. On a 120V line, 1800W requires 15A.

Remember, W=V*A.

Also, no amp is 100% efficient, but on the other hand, you will not be running an amp at 100% of its rated power continuously.

14. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    Those amps are meant to run off a distro. I believe they have the twist lock plugs and the power cables are appliance style. If you have the means to power them, those amps are ridiculous!

If you want something that uses a standard plug, maybe look at the 5200 and 7200.

Even if it doesn't trip the breaker, it will sound anemic.

Now that we're talking about huge power amps, ever see a Crest 10001? They had two line cords!

15. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I think Carvin had a 2KW per channel power amp that had two 120V 20A cables connected.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to knowing the power requirements.

You are going to have to be able to scale this system down for use in venues that can't supply all that huge power. Also subs work better in groups. You will end up with more output in the end by adding more subs to the pile instead of slamming fewer with huge power. This also helps in scaling the system to the venue.

17. Hi.

Not confused, kidding. Right?

Huge +1 for what Paul and others have said: make sure that You can operate the whole stage set with the available electrical power.

Unless You're running solely on LED technology, twice to three times power of the sound system is the norm for the lights. You have to take that into account.

Regards
    Sam