Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Crest ST- & Steward World or PA-

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jwendt99, Feb 22, 2005.

1. jwendt99

jwendt99

Oct 20, 2004
    Northern CA
    In my continuing search - my interest is on three lightweight power amps:
    * Crest ST Series (either ST-2000 or ST-1500)
    * Stewart World (either 2.1 or 1.6)
    * Stewart PA Series (the older PA-1000 or PA-1400)

Can anyone offer recommendations on which way to go here?
    What are the older Stewart PA Series amps like?
    Are the new Stewart World amps the same quality as the older units?

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in price between the highest wattage version of an amp and the next lower wattage version of the same amp (e.g. World 2.1 versus World 1.6), so it seems like I might as well go with the higher wattage model of any particular model of amp.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i can only comment on the stewart 2.1 amp. last things 1st. i dont see a real reason to go with the 1.6 as the 2.1 isnt all that much more expensive. ditto on the plx series of amps by qsc. the price jumps from lower wattag models to higher wattage arent all that great, if i got a plx i'd save the extra 100-200 bucks for a big one.

fewer guys here use the stewart than the plx, but i think that's mostly a case of availability. those of us that do are generally very satisfied with them. they seem to be very transparent and loud with great dynamics and headroom. the only negative thing i can say is soem of us (myself included) have experience failure of one channel that requred the amp to be fixed. this isnt terribly frequent, but it happens. stewart seems to be a little slow in fixing them, but so far they seem to do it for free, even on units that have passed the 2 year warranty. there are more reported issues with the fan-less stewarts like the 1.2 in terms of overheating. however, one member here (jokerjkny) has used his for quite some time w/o a problem.

3. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    There's a recent thread on the Crest ST line here in the amps forum. I suggest you read that for opinions (all good!) on the ST. I personally love mine and you'll find lots of similar comments in that thread.
    Thanks.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I'm a Stewart 2.1 user. Great amp. I especially like the separability of the power sections, you can use only one side if you need to, or both. Nice and light too, I can carry that, and my bass, and my Bag End S-12 at the same time. :)

5. jwendt99

jwendt99

Oct 20, 2004
    Northern CA
    I'm thinking that the Crest ST and Stewart World amps are pretty much in the same class and I'll get pretty much the same great performance from either one (fast transient response, deep bass, high fidelity) given a good preamp. I haven't heard anything bad about either of them (except for the Stewart Worlds having a channel go out for a couple folks), but also haven't found anything saying that one was better than the other for a particular reason.

Does anyone have experience with the older Stewart PA-1400 or PA-1000 power amps?

Thx,
    Jim