1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on Curt Mangan strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mikedyermusic, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I'm looking into purchasing Curt Mangan strings. Have any of you guys used them before?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Mangan strings are great. Curt worked at Erine Ball for something like 17 years so he knows what he's doing.

I use DR Sunbeams mainly, but when I downtune my 34" 5 string, the already low tension Sunbeam tension gets too low even with the .130. I use Mangan .130 or .135's to mate with Sunbeams because they are higher tension and are about the only string I've found that tonally matches with Sunbeams.

I wish Jason at Bass Strings Online sold Mangan's, I'd use them more if he did :)

3. Thanks for the info! I know stinnettmusic.com sells them.

4. blackba

blackba

Sep 7, 2008
    Michigan, USA
    Ironically I can't stand Erinie Ball strings, but love Curt Mangans (speaking guitar strings only here). I need to try a set of Mangan bass strings, if they are as nice as the guitar strings, I am sold.

Here is the cheapest price I found for them. http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/bagust.html#top
    Doesn't seem to be but one gauge option though 45-105 ( I usually D''Addario 45-100, so slightly different) so their selection for Curt Mangan bass strings is not very good. :(

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I think they are somewhat similar to EB's, but I think Curt left EB because they were making crap and he couldn't stand it anymore. So he started his own company to do it right.

Mangan's are mainly sold through small independent retailers. They sell direct as well. I got the ones I had from ebay.

6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    As recently as last year, Birdsong was using only Mangan strings for all its new basses. Don't know if that is still true or not.

7. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I used a set of Curt Mangan string that I got from Pick of the Ricks on my RIC 4003. They were ok, not overly impressed, but they were good. After that I switched to Circle K strings and I like them a bit more. I'm currently using RotoSound Swing 66's and I'll probably go back to Circle K when these get tired. The Roto's aren't bad, just not as much zing as I expected.

--jack

8. ricknote

ricknote

Aug 3, 2006
    Nashville
    I've tried the Mangan strings on a couple of basses.
    I liked them just fine except for the Low B string.
    Just not happening for me on the 5'rs.

Labella, DR, and Thomasik have the only Low B
    strings I've tried that have worked well for me with several basses that don't have great B's, if that makes any sense.

The two basses I have with great B's are a Zon
    and a Lull.

Every Low B brand has sounded great on those instruments.

Go figure.

Some day a manufacturer will come up with a design of a Low B that will sound clear and
    focused on every possible instrument like all the other strings.
    Until then, the search continues...

RT

9. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I just put a Curt Mangan nickle set on my VM Jazz. They are very zingy right now. Only had them on for a week so far so not sure how they last or if the zing goes down yet. I kinda like them, but I hope some of the zing goes away after they are a little more broken in.

10. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This will be the next set of strings I try out. I used them on my guitar when I was playing lead and loved them hands down above Ernie Ball and D'Addario. I hope I get the same thing out of them on bass.

11. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2006
    Leesburg, VA
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses and Bergantino Audio Systems
    I put Mangan nickels (45-105's) on all my Jazz basses. Just a nice crisp string that, for me, lasts a long time. Two thumbs up.

12. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I use their nickel wounds on my Birdsong Cortobass and after a day or two break in they sound really nice.

13. Ploonter

Ploonter Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Franklin Park, NJ
    +1 For Curt Mangans!
    By the way, you can order them right from Curt Mangans web site-

14. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I have mine broken in now. I'll never buy another set of their nickle strings again. They mellowed out from the harsh tone they had when new but still have tons of finger noise. I'm probably gonna go back to using DR.

15. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    I have mangan nickel rounds on my 61 p and on my squier vm p they sound and feel good I'm currently playing in a Blues band and i like these strings for what were doing.:)

16. These are my new go-to strings now. Never heard of them until a I was walking around the NAMM show with a guitar player friend of mine (who endorses them) and we stopped at the Curt Mangan booth. Mr. Mangan himself gave me a set of nickel rounds and I tried it on my Stingray 4 some time later...WOW! Just love the clarity and tone. I've tried EB, Rotosound and DR strings before and these are just lovely. Some time later he started selling SS in 5-string sets so I tried those on my Stingray 5. I currently have them on that bass. They last pretty long too.

17. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi there,

I've recently get the Curt Mangan Nickel Wound Light (45-105) for my P-bass. First impressions are great these strings feel and sound nice. Now waiting some time for them to break-in and see how it goes further. However, while installing them I've found G string to be a little bit too short for the P-bass. It went only two windings around the tuner post before warping layer edge. So I need to cut string on open core area. Guess bad news for the string-through bridges and longer than standard necks with inline tuner configuration. Fortunately though, CM has a "Long Scale" version....