1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on Cusack Bass Screamer and MP Blueberry BOD

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Frank_Raider, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Hi, guys and gals; I did a search about this topic, but there's not much information available. A couple of threads about de MPBBBOD and a maybe a couple of posts about the Cusack Bass Screamer; and those are from several years ago. So I wanted to ask you what are your opinions about the two as of today, and maybe, if I'm lucky enough, someone could have compared them before.

The thing is I can't try any of those by myself; so, based on some videos, I'm curious about the Blueberry, not for geting that BJFE tone, but for its own tone instead. But I also loved the Screamer Bass demos. I already have the Xotic Bass BB Preamp, and I was wondering if it would be overkill to get the Cusack, since both are tube screamer based. I know (at least by the demos) they don't sound the same, but maybe they're a little too much in the same ballpark. Your opinions and experience will be really helpful, folks.

Any response will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

EDIT: I know about the Bearfoot 3BOD, but I find it too subtle for what I need.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. I believe that @johnk_10 opined that despite its name, the Cusack may not be tubescreamer based.

It is never overkill to get many dirt pedals. :)

I personally love the sound of the Cusack demos. The MP Blueberry, not so much. To each their own though.

I know someone around here has a Cusack, I just can't remember right now who it is. I'm sure they'll pop in at some point. :)

Frank_Raider likes this.
  3. Thank you very much! I think just like you about the Cusack demos: I love them. The Blueberry, on the other hand, not so much, but there's one demo that intrigues me (the one from Bass Club Chicago), and I dig the tone in that particular one.

I've read the thoughts of JohnK about the Cusack not sounding like a TS, and I agree with that (at least, not a regular TS), and for sure he knows what he's talking about. I'll love to hear what he thinks about the two comparatively speaking (I know he also found the MP Bluberry was a good pedal).

There is, in fact, one guy that raved about the Cusack a couple of years ago (his reviews were very helpful, indeed), but he plays a different style than me. However, he has a BB Preamp too at that time and he wrote about the two being different (the Xotic as a more modern sounding pedal, wich I agree).

Thank you very much again for your help!

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Me by chance?

I have the Cusack, a BB Preamp, and a BBBOD.

The Cusack is awesome. It's a lower gain touch sensitive drive that sounds good with anything IME. It's versatile with the switch. You can get more drive out of it but I find that it shines as a lower gain pedal. It's more transparent than the BBBOD, more similar to a Barbershop but with more gain and no kazoo.

The BB is a heavier pedal with more gain. I think they complement each other well.

I've never played the MP version of the Blueberry. I hear they sound nothing like the Bearfoot versions. The Bearfoot is more of a vintage sound than the Cusack.

Frank_Raider and blindrabbit like this.
  5. Yup, it was you I was thinking of. :)

Frank_Raider and Dave W like this.
  6. Thank you, Dave! But I thought it was another guy Blindrabbit was talking about, though, haha! FromTheBassMent, I think is the user.

I've already read some of your past thoughts about the Cusack, and in fact is in part because of them that I got interested in it. I really appreciate your comments now, specially since you have experience with both the BB Pre and the Cusack. It's great to know they work good together, but they're still different, cause actually my main concern was redundance. I really love the sound of the Cusack. It's transparent, warm yet clear, and it seems very dynamic. And that switch is really a great feature

Thank you very much again for your help!

blindrabbit and Dave W like this.
  7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No problemo.

Frank_Raider likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020