Opinions on Dean Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tvan1988, Dec 27, 2002.

1. tvan1988

Apr 16, 2001
    Wamego, Kansas
    I usually don't post a lot of stuff, but I read alot of them because I always like to hear other opinions on gear. What do you think of Dean basses, I hardly ever hear anyone talk about them. I really like the Edge series basses, I currently have 2(fretted 4, fretless 5) and have owned 3 others. Any opinions would be appriciated. (in the market for another fretted 5).
  2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i have a dean edge 4 improv, czech made, neck thru. I think it is a very well made instrument--nice details, nice controls, looks beautiful too! Mine plays like a dream too for me--low action, narrow neck--real quick and smooth. Is also a great sounding bass--came w/ roundwounds that were really bright and zingy--currently have flatwounds on it. Tone has a nice "growl" overall. paid $725 new. Only thing i like as much or better now is my 4 string Reverend Rumblefish--although the guys here have me interested in looking at a MusicMan now!
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I think deans are pretty good basses especially for the price. I haven't played a ton of them, maybe 4 or 5.. and I liked them all.. I liked the price even better
  4. for the price they're some of the best out there. I have an Edge 4 fretless, a MLX7, and I bought my wife a Performer acoustic Guitar. They all play well, and are built real solid.

My Edge 4 has Grover tuners, a 5 piece Maple/Walnut neck, and EMG-HZ pickups. I bought if for like $300 and some change.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm still waiting to get my hands on one of the B Squared Brian Bromberg Signature basses. Dean has them posted on their price list (the prices for the USA versions are TBA), but I still haven't seen one in person. Maybe Dean will have more info. after Winter NAMM 2003.

6. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    I have got the 4-string Edge and the Dean-marked pups are infact EMG HZ's. Very nice!

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have a 5 string fretless version of the Korean Dean Edge from a few years back:

I love it, it's my most played bass despite being one of the cheapest I own.
  8. Are these basses out yet? I haven't seen them, but would like to. Thanks.