Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on double necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Aug 29, 2004.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Some years ago, I was a very avid follower of this excellent site. Due to a heavy schedule on teaching, playing and practicing, my web surfing habits went down to a snail's pace. Now I want to (try to) come back and I have a question: I have a 5-string fretted bass and a 5-string fretless. From a certain time, the idea of having both instruments in a double neck has been surrounding my head. It sounds very attractive to me, but I've never played one and don't know anybody near me who has one to try, so I'd like to hear your opinions on double necks regardless of brands, price, etc.

Thank you very much in advance. It is good to be here again.

P.S.: BTW, Recently, I created a very modest web site with some mp3. I'll be glad to know you visit. Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/alvabass67/Alvabass.html

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think that ultimately, the novelty outweighs the "utility" of the concept. It's one of those things where you end up composing the song around the novelty, not the instrument or the music, where you're composing a song specifically to use THAT bass. Sort of like writing a song around an effect (chorus, synth, what have you).

Which, (again, only my opinion) makes the song suffer. TBers John Turner and notduane will disagree, I'm sure, but that's just my take on them.

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've been GASing for doublenecks since probably before the term GAS was coined. Unfortunatly I've never had the opportunity to try one out either. I know JT's got a sweet 7 String Conklin DN of which the only negatives I've heard of was weight (but hey, it's 2 7 strings!!!! A DN 4 or 5 would still be heavier than one but that's the nature of the beast) and the fact that neither neck is really in the ideal place, One is always a bit high and the other is always a bit low (but again that's with 7 strings, 4's or 5's would still have the same problem but it might not be as drastic since the necks aren't nearly the same width) I also don't know if any manufacturer is making a DN as a standard insrument, so any DN would have to be a custom job and depending on your needs/wants/expecations could be very expensive. I know Carvin had a standard DN back in the 80's but if memory serves me at the time it cost the same as buying the 2 bases it comprised so it was not a big seller. I don't know of any other ones you might be able to find used.

Best of luck!!! I'll look foreward to seeing anything you get which ever way you decide to go....

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    for me, it's the exact opposite.

in my experience, i composed many of my songs before i had my doubleneck and intended both fretted and fretless to be used in both, and recorded them that way - many of the lord only songs on both cds have both fretted and fretless throughout. in fact, the very existence and design of my doubleneck was mandated by the sheer number of songs i was composing that i intended to play both fretted and fretless on.

using the term "novelty" implies that the instrument itself is somehow an integral part of the entertainment experience for the audience, or is at least intended to be. that's not how i look at things. sure i have wild looking instruments, but that's to entertain -me-, not anyone watching or listening - if they get a kick out of it, great, but that's not why i have them. the music is to entertain them, and the music dictated the instruments, not the other way around. of course, i've seen many folks judge the instrument, and me too, negatively based on the assumption that it's purely a novelty/gag, but hey, i'm used to being judged harshly for what i choose to do - shoot everybody gets judged on what they choose to do by somebody.

having a doubleneck of any kind requires enough of a committment that anyone getting one for the novelty will not end up using it much. you have to ask yourself if the extra weight and performance requirements are worth the increased level of artistic freedom.

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    doesn't warmoth offer doubleneck bodies? i imagine throwing a warmoth together would be pretty easy and cheap, and probably great fun too.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Only a Strat/PBass... Not a bad combo, but heavy!

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use the term novelty in the musician sense of something new, different, unique; not the audience/entertainment sense. Maybe I should have said "novelty?"

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    ...doubleneck Valenti 4 fretless/5 fretted.

JT, you have just incited massive gas. Massive.

9. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea the first time I hit the warmoth site I saw the DN link and hit it with baited breath.... p/strat only... Keep thinking I migh see what they would charge to do a Custom DN Gecko body. I also noticed they are now selling pre-routed body blanks and was wondering if 2 of them could be laminated together for a DN. Obviously you could probably only have them do the Neck pocket and Pickups on whichever would be the top body and have them route out the control cavity of the lower body.

Hmmmmmm. What's the ballance in my checkbook right now!!!
    :D :D

10. I actually like the idea done by Nexus / Armen, with the fretted and fretless fingerboards together on the same neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks pretty managable too, and probably lighter than a doubleneck.

11. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    That looks... completely unplayable.

Seriously, I know I couldn't stretch my fingers all the way up to that fretless.

12. I think Hamer is making a 5 or 6 neck model to complement Rick Nielsen's multi-neck (of Cheap Trick) axe.

13. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I wouldn't mind having a Rickenbacker 4080 around... though that's a guitar/bass doubleneck. ;) Seriously, if one fell out of the sky and just plopped down into my lap (hopefully not too hard, those solid maple things look heavy) I wouldn't mind at all sir.

14. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, Looks manageable until you get to the John Turner Signature Model!!! :bassist:

Sorry, couldn't help myself!!! :D

15. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I just scored a Dan doublenck off Ebay for $260. The guy didnt have pix posted and said one of the necks needed adjusted, so i thin k I lowballed him. Wont know until i see it, it supposedto arrive tomorrow.
    But, uh, it's one of those things that that we dont talk about here. Or maybe it's two of those things.

16. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea but there are a lot of double neck 6 or 12 string soprano basses out there!!!
    ;)

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    *sings* Lets get retarded in here... :bag:

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

heh :hyper:

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    This past Winter NAMM Double neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    DAMN!!! Now my keyboard's all sticky again!!!!!

Hey you should post that in that Singlecuts vs. Doublecuts thread...It's both!!!!