1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on Ebay ethics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zootsuitbass, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Huh... Wrong topic and I cant erase the thread???

This item is a amp that's why I was thinking amps..

Mods move to appropriate?

I recently won a auction on Ebay. I got a good price, one might say a very good price but not quite stole the thing.
    Now this item is for sale here on TB.Has been for a while the asking price as of late was 1400 shipped/best offer.The item was bumped up activity before the ebay add started.

Seller has set forth the "cancel" sale due to "Sold to another buyer"

I've sent Ebay message looking for direct conversation. PM here,,, and email direct through that option here. No Reply......

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I sell on eBay quite a bit as well on various classified boards. As far as I'm concerned Ebay trumps any other deals. It is a legal binding contract. If you won the auction the item should be yours, period!! Tell the seller no go on the cancel transaction request and demand your item, leave negative feedback if need be. If he is a TB'er you might try alerting the moderators of your situation, they might help.

btw, this probably the wrong forum for this topic.

3. If the auction ran its course, it was too late for the seller to cancel. You must do that before the auction ending period.

4. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    This is the auction you won I presume, the Aguilar DB728?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aguilar-DB728-Tube-Bass-Power-Amp-/251129059373?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a7875582d

The last bump by the seller was on 8/10, with no responses, so one might guess that it wasn't sold on here.
    Auction ended on the 17th.

I believe the above posters are correct; the only time as a seller you can end an eBay auction early is before the auction is over. If it runs it's course, it should be a binding contract. Thats what the "reserve price" option is for. If a seller sets a reserve, and the item goes for less than that reserve amount, the seller doesnt have to release the item.
    I see no reserve on this item, so you should be in the right.

5. Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    So,I received this from Tminus10

" And you know that it was for sale locally. Someone came and bought it the day the auction was ending, I couldn't end it that close to the auction closing. I understand you're upset that you won't be getting a $1500 amp for $1000. Get over it."

Anybody read in the auction that it was for sale locally?? Must be in the fine print.

I was trying to play nice out here.... It's getting hard to do.

Actually if he had called me like i asked him to do and just said... "Crap, I thought I'd get more.Please, I don't want to let it go for that." I would have let it go.

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

As far as I know, if an auction ends, it is legally binding. Report this crap.

7. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    Could have done without the get over it part. Things happen when you post your for sale items all over the place at different prices which is understandable ( I guess) but there is no need for rudeness. I'd still leave negative feedback but that's just me.

8. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    + infinity billion

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He deserves negative feedback and to be reported to Ebay for violating their rules. Then he can "get over it".

10. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    That's why I generally use eBay after I've exhausted all tb and local options because it's BINDING.

11. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    Funny part I just thought of is wont eBay want their percentage or the total amount sold including any shipping well since you're obviously not paying that amount won't he still owe all the listing and final sale price fees.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That ain't gonna help tminus10's rep here.

13. Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011
    I'm not sure,He initiated a termination of the sale . I "cancelled" that ,, I have no idea what stance ebay is going to take.

14. Zootsuitbass

Mar 13, 2011

I confess that before his response that I posted I felt compelled to protect his rep and keep this kinda anonymous. In-fact I had asked samthebutcher to pull that link of the ebay auction.

Now I'm letting this thread bloom....

BTW, I also just checked craiglist local seattle looking for a sale add and didn't find one.

15. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I say report it to eBay and leave him negative feedback and let him get over it. If you don't cancel the transaction he'll still have to pay the eBay fees on the item. That'll give him something else to get over. Beyond that it's time to move on cause you're not getting the amp.

16. Ebay not letting you pull an auction any time you like is unethical on their part. What goes on after that doesn't rate on the seller's character if you ask me.

The guy is in the TB brotherhood, you should be happy he got a decent price for it.

17. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    TB'er or not, the seller agreed to abide by eBay rules when he listed his item. I see nothing unethical about what eBay has done.

18. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If he has sold you an item, its up to him to deliver, if he sold it to someone else also, his problem, he'll have to get another one to supply you. Or he's selling non-existent items, which is fraud. Your sale is all down on paper. First case here is sort of relevant, but is UK law: http://www.e-sue.co.uk/recent_work.htm#

19. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    As far as I can see you're legally entitled to your amp.

On the other hand do you really expect him to deliver one at this point? Stick him with the fees and some bad feedback and move on. Had you lost money this would have been a much bigger deal, as it is it's not so bad. If it really bothers you make a complaint to ebay, open a 'where is my item' dispute.

20. sadasar

sadasar

Jan 21, 2012
    Dallas Texas.
    No I'm sorry if you sell it local for a better price thats not something I'm excited about when I already purchased it from you. If he wanted more money for it then he shouldn't have listed it on eBay for a price he wasn't willing to part with

yea at this point the last laugh is a noble quest.