Opinions on Eden WT 500 Highwayman and WT 600 Roadrunner

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyMan, Dec 14, 2003.

1. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hello Everyone--

Andy Russ from Columbus, Ohio here.

I'm doing a blues gig, and need a lightweight powerful head. I can't always lug my '72 SVT.

I've settled on an Eden WT 500 or 600.

My question: as these can be run stereo @ 4 ohms,

for small gois/practice, can I safely run only 1 side with a 4 ohm cab w/o screwing the amp up?

Also, what do these go for used??

I'm thinking of using an Avatar CB12 with the Eden head for small apps, an Ampeg SVT Classic 410 HE cab for big gigs.

I've also heard that Eden will release a 1x12 XST after 1/04 True???

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Each side of the roadrunner and the world tour can be run at 4ohms quite safely. Infact that is the ideal setup. When bridged they can only run an 8ohm load though.

I have a WT-600 and a WT-800 that I use with a 410 eden cab and a single 15 eden cab. Excellent sound. Both cabs are 4ohms.

I also recently purchased an older ampeg 810 so now I can bridge these amps and see what they do.
  3. CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    AndyMan, I used my WT-500 for the last 7 or 8 years bridged into an 8 ohm D410T cab, and it worked reliably on hundreds of gigs. I never had any problems - except a scratchy gain pot last year, but that was very easy to fix.

I just replaced it with a Walter Woods because the Eden was a far heavier and bulkier amp than I wanted to deal with. The two amps have very different sounds - I always liked the punch of the Eden, but I really like the transparency and fast response of the WW.

The Eden has a fantastic sound though (even though I never used the "Enhance" knob).

One recommendation: the colored tips of the control knobs are just pressed in and can fall out very easily (I've seen this on a handful of Eden heads), so I took each tip off and secured it in place with a little silicone.

Also, quallabone is right.. the individual sides can handle a minimum load of 4 ohms, but bridged the amp needs a minimum load of 8 ohms (so don't plug in a 4 ohm cab into the bridged output!)

- Cowboy
  4. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks for the input. Can I run only 1 side at a time w/ 1 4 Ohm cab, while the other side sits idle?
  5. AndyMan!

This is another Andy!

I use the WT500 amp and a D4-10xlt AND and a D2-10xlt. Both are 4 ohm cabs. The 4-10 goes into the trailer after gigs but the 2-10 goes to the rehersal room along with the wt500 head. I rin the 2-10 on one side and adjust the other side to the off or cutoff position. No problems doing this. I have also run an 8 ohm 15" and the 4 ohm 2-10 with the amp doing fine. Also, if you look at what Eden recomends in their manual it shows how to hook-up loads to the amp. One is how to run the two 4 ohm cabs in series to create a single 8 ohm load for the bridged mono mode of the WT500 (rated at 600watts in this mode.) Why anyone would want to do this is beyound me. It sounds so good in the stero mode with 2 speakers. I also was reading that their is some marrit to running the 2-10 on the bottom and the 4-10 on the top. (Or a 1-15, 1-12, etc.) I'll have to try this.

With the WT500 being one of the 1st Eden amps out there, and the release of all their new amps, I wouls expect to see a few of these turning up very soon. Mine is a 1998 vintage, pre-US Music, as are the speakers. Whether or not this matters will play out some time in the future. But, If Eden follows other manufactures that were bought out, (like Fender, Harley-Davidson, etc..) history is not on their side. Time will tell.

On a side note:
    I need some rack ears for the WT500. Anyone got a line on a pair?

Andy W.
    mizedog likes this.
  6. CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA