Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on EV TL series 15" cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Captain G, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Hi, I still very much like the sound of 15" cabs for I'm mainly a Blues, 60's/70's R&B and Funk player. Now I've had this EV cab for about 25 yrs now. Back then they were considered to be the best thing around. But I've been seriously wondering if I should move on. So, what are peoples opinions of them today - are the EV TL's still considered to be a very good cab ?? If not, I'd greatly appreciate some suggestions on what get as a replacement?? Or should I keep it and add another very good cab to it ?? Many thanks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What really matters is that if sounds good to you... If it does, then it's still a great cabinet!!!

I have two of them, which I built myself, and enjoy them a lot. If you want to modernize your sound a little, a 2x10 with a tweeter would be a good addition. Try standing the 2x10 on end for a vertical array of speakers...sounds awesome!!!

In recent years, I've used them by themselves, as a clean/dirty cabinet along with a clean-only Acme B2 (separate power amp channels for each cabinet) and most recently with a pair of Avatar B210s.

They might not go as deep as some modern 1x15s, but they do a great job on the bandstand (as you well know) and still sound great rehearsing at home.

3. Thanks very much for your thoughts BillyB. But just out of curiosity, what does give modern day speaker cabs their depth compared to the older style TL's - is it speaker quality, cab design and /or both ?? The EV in mine has has a maximum low of 40hz. Can other 15" speakers go lower ??

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    For the styles you play that cab is perfect. I still use a EVM-15B in an EAW box quite a bit, great sound.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I had a few of those TL cabs, the 606, 505, and the 808. If I'm not mistaken, those cabs were built around the stock EV series II drivers, 12L, 15B, 18B. Most speaker manufacturers these days I beleive utilize a speaker manufacturer (say Eminence, or Eden who makes thier own drivers) build or match a driver to work optimimly for a specific cabinet design objective. This allows probably for more options and choices in terms of overall tuning and freq response. An Epifani or Bergantino single 15 cabinet would probably provide significantly more low end response than your TL cabs which are more generic in terms of the drivers used. I know my Bergantino HT115 blows the pants of my old EV equipped TL 606 that had the "B" series two woofer in low end, but not in terms of overall sound output. That extended low end response comes at a price, which is why those old but efficient EV's are probably still very effective on the stage competing with blaring guitar rigs. You could add a rectangular tweeter to fill the center slot port if you wanted to give the TL a little modern edge too.
    :D

6. You mean these? I still have a B215M I bought new back in 1980 something and it still sounds fantastic even by today's standards.

[​IMG]