opinions on Fender '51 perscision bass vs. fender mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmaster5632, Jun 7, 2005.

Which one ?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2005.
  1. 51' perscision

2. mustang

3. other

1. bassmaster5632

May 13, 2005
    I'm leaning towards the 51 perscision and your opinions?
    if your saying other in the poll tell me what bass!
  2. are we talking an origional '51 p or a reissue?
  3. bassmaster5632

May 13, 2005
    re issue if i could get my hands on a vintage i would buy it on the spot!!!!!!!!
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've always found the Mustangs rather puny. There's a reason the vintage ones sell for $400-500. They're cheap entry level models, short scale. I'd much rather have a modern rendition of the first successful electric bass anyway. Great tone, great look, great bass.
  5. The Mustang is a cool bass that plays very well but it's nothing great. The 51 P's I've played are pretty good reissues and each played solidly.
  6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I wish they went for $400. A good condition original on Ebay, $1000 - $1500. :meh: I just checked the bay and yep, there are some cheap ones on there now. Looks like they are only expensive when I am shopping for one. :meh:
  7. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    I think that the mustang re issue blows the original away. If you are looking to get a Fender short scale bass, however, I think that the Bullet Bass is your best bet. I put in the Bartolini pickups in mine, and it blows that dang mustang out of the water sound wise. It is made in America too. I think in the 80's they started to get made in Japan, and they turned into Squires.
  8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    OK, what's the story on the Bullet Bass. Short scale bass choices are few, so help us out here. :eyebrow:
  9. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    '51 p is cool but a mustang is just a killer bass...it's little guy but it rocks hard...get a stang and have a jazz bass too...you can never go wrong with a jazz. :bassist: