Opinions on Fender Jazz Bass Plus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jan 15, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Anybody with any experience playing this model that Fender produced in the late 80s-early 90s? The ones with the Lace Sensor pickups. How do they compare to standard Jazz Basses? Saw some pretty good deals on these; wondering if they're worth spending money on.
  2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've been in the market for a Jazz Plus V for a few months, and have done a fair amount of research on the line. I've traded emails with several different owners, and the general word is that they're a great bass, especially at the prices they are selling for these days. Some of the positives I've heard are:
    • Body style - the lightweight "downsized J-bass" is great for people smaller in stature, or those with back problems (both of which I have.)
    • Build quality - much better than the average J-bass of the time period. Gotoh hardware (tuners and bridge) are top notch.
    • Neck width - Tighter string spacing, not the typical "Yamaha" plank. Again, nice for those of us smaller than average.
    • Electronics - Lace sensor pickups/Kubicki active electronics provide a wealth of usable tones.
    • Body woods - most Jazz Plus' were the "standard" alder, but occasionally a natural finish ash body with pop up. Expect to pay more for the ash, but the standard alders' are very nice basses.

As you can see, they get the thumb's up from me! :D You might want to PM "Munjibunga" for his opinion - he's got a stunning '94 J-Plus V in a 'burst that has to be seen to be believed. Click here and scroll down to see it.

Hope this is of some help,

3. I owned an alder-bodied one. It sounded and felt great, especially for slapping, except for one flaw. . . it had a dead spot at the 10th fret of the D string. I had to sell it because that dead spot irked me to no end. However, if you get one of these without a dead spot, they are cool and undervalued.
  4. Tried one, wouldn't buy it. It was a disgrace to the Jazz Bass!