1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on Fender Nylon Filament Roundwounds7120s

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SUNNyday r., Oct 17, 2006.

1. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    First off, I am new so I hope I am not goofing up already. I bought these strings today and put them on my Warwick Corvette Standard 4 string(2004) and am excited about them. I wanted a string that could tame the natural brightness of the Corvette but retain enough bright sound when needed. These seem to do that and look cool too(the nylon is black) The only thing so far that throws me is the floppy E (gauge of set is .70.80.90.100 strange to me) although I prefer low tension strings,and the Warwick mid sound is sort of muted. I have a handful of other basses to try them out on. Would they suit another bass better as in a more traditional P or J? Didn't find too much about them in a search of past posts either. Rolling back the tone gave a very good flatwound sound too(I use a plectrum and my fingers) and play alternative/indie/prog/emo....ah, what's in a name anyway? All opinions on this strange string would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for bearing with me.

2. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    Hello and welcome!

It's always exciting to try out strings, especially "weird" ones, to get another sound. It widens your horizon.
    I never had the Fender Nylons, but I tried the GHS Black Nylon Tapewounds on the Status Energy, Cort Curbow fretless, and on my acoustic bass. The different sound and feel made me play different indeed! I like the nylon sound, because it's warm, silky and very "acoustic" somehow, even on the Status. For the Fretless they seem to be the perfect match, since they deliver more highs and flageolets than steel flatwounds, and they don't hurt the fingerboard like roundwounds do.

3. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    I have played a few basses with tapewound strings though I have never bought tapes myself and these are not like them. It is hard to describe but they almost feel like touching ceramic. A "weird" feel indeed. Any string gurus out there to shed some light on these? Were they an idea that never fully caught on? A precursor to coated strings? A way to sound like flats and rounds?Oh yeah, they have really low tension and not just the E as I mentioned before.

4. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Anyone? I guess these are fairly obscure and not well liked. Took them of the Warwick Corvette and put them on my Ibanez Blazer(pretty much a P bass) and with the tone rolled off I am getting a nice,deep sound that is not quite flatwound. Just a bit more bite. I am finding the tension to be too floppy though. Might tighten up on a extra long scale neck. These have not worked out to my satisfaction so I may be selling the unused pack and the ones I am using(didn't cut them) but from the lack of response to the thread I might not find anyone out there who is interested. The great string search continues(well DR's are great and TI's and Chromes but the "tone" eludes me ;)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021