Opinions on Fender Super Bassman please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ImSquare17, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Hey there guys, trying to find some good info/advice/opinions on the old Fender Super Bassman, anyone have experience with it? Thoughts on sound? Volume? What cabs would go well with it? thanks!
  2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Isn't a Super Bassman just like a 100 and a 135, tonally? If you want to check out my Bassman 100 (with nice tubes), I'll be home in Muskegon for Spring Break in a few weeks. You're welcome to drop by, and hopefully by then I'll have my LDS 2x12 / 2x6 cabinet picked up. Let me know if you want to do so. PM me or email me.
  3. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I will be watching this thread very closely as well, because I am currently considering this amp as well. My friend is building Fender clones (sdgvintageamps.com) and I keep bugging him to put a bass amp together for me. He's very skilled, but hasn't done anything with the kind of wattage that we're after. We're talking right now about building one of these for me, so we'll see.

Let me know what you all think about them. I've been looking at http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/bassman_super.html to get an idea of what the spec's are, but I would LOVE to play one and get a better idea of the sound.

4. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Is the Bassman the amp McCartney used - like on the famous "roof top" gig they did? He had killer tone, and that was even an "outdoor" gig.

5. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    FWIW, I have a friend who plays an Alembic F-1X into a crest power amp. He told me that apparently the F-1X was designed (primarily for the Grateful Dead) as a pre-amp based up the Super Bassman b/c they liked the tone so well. Don't know if it's urban legend or not, but it certainly IS intriguing.

6. I would believe it, the Fender Bassman was a popularly copied amplifier, apparently even the first Marshall was based off of the bassman. There are quite a few more examples but I can't remember them off the top of my head...