Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinions on flea

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rhcp17, Mar 26, 2002.

1. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    Im just curious, so bust him all u want, ill have no hard feelings, but howcome a lot of bassists, mostly jazz bassists hate flea. Maybe its not so much here on this site but in school i was talkin to a couple of buddies (They play jazzier stuff) and they despise the guy. I dont thinks hes the best or anything, but they were ripping him apart saying he sucks, and all he can do is slap good, and stuff like that. So im just curious, i think he may be just a little over-rated but what do u guys think of his stuff?

2. BASSethound

BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I am no big fan of Flea or RHCP. I saw them years ago in Buffalo, NY. Flea was not impressive, he was very much off time and made more fret noise than I have ever heard (he was also probably heavily under the influence). I do beleive that if a band does put out 10 albums, there has to be at least one song you like.

I mainly play bop, cool jazz, and blues. However, I am proficient enough to play other styles of music. A decent bass player should be pretty flexible. I won a local music award for a pop funk band I was playing with a few years ago and I do not even really consider that my main style.

Now for the meat, you're "jazz" buddies should know better! You learn from all musicians! Flea grooves! I dig his groove! I also learned to pay a lot of attention to how I sound live. Tell them to take a funk groove like RED CLAY by Freddie Hubbard. Guess what? It sounds a lot like a tune from freaky styley!

I appreciate Flea because he appreciates jazz guys like Diz and Bird, etc.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Flea is ...... Flea!
    Gotta love a guy that'll play nekkid! A real minimalist I guess.:D

I think of him probably as Flea the performer who whacks his bass on stage with a lot of energy;
    can't see I listen to a lot of Chili Pep's records-so-

I'll bet as a person, like was said, he totally respects & digs the "artists" including those in jazz R&B, & pop.
    To each his "zone" as long as listeners get proper exposure to the non-subjective stylistically
    (read: great jazz & classical) bassists, like who ya like.

4. JacoJr

JacoJr Guest

Mar 26, 2002
    Decatur GA.
    When I first really listened to Flea, I was in the 8th grade, and I was blown away. I had only been playing bass for a year, and only knew rock n' roll. Now that I have been exposed to much better bass players who blow Flea out of the water on straight up technique and tone, I can still appreciate him for the great lines he playes. They add energy and feeling and depth to RHCP songs. Now I appreciate him much more for his style than his technique

5. Flea does what he loves, and I admire anyone who follows their hearts and "lets it all hang out", literally in his case :D (ohhhhhhh another corny jab at his playing naked! I am soooo clever!). RHCP puts passion and energy into their music and it sounds good and makes people feel good. So, he accomplishes his purpose as a musician.

6. c'mon, he's a GREAT bassist! Listen (again) to some RHCP songs, the bass DRIVES almost every song, both rhythmically and harmonically. The guitar just adds some color here or there.

I put Flea up there with the likes of Wooten, Claypool, Ricky Showalter, Mike Gordon, and others.

7. I really dig Flea. He has great rhythm, good tone. Yeah, he slaps alot, but listen to wooten, he slaps a lot too.

I gotta agree with Mark, his bass drives nearly every song.

8. DareDevil

DareDevil

Feb 17, 2002
    Southport, FL
    Flea is a great player and he's probably my favorite. Not because he has technical superiority over Wooten, Claypool, or Geddy, but just because of what he does to the songs he plays and how much of himself he can put into these songs.

9. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i personally think that flea is great. this is just an openion of some random mindless student, but i really do see nothing wrong with him. even though his music might lack in some area, (i don't think it does, but some apparently do) i don't listen to it because he is good, i listen because i like how it sounds. as long as it sounds good, i like him. also, he just seems like a likable person in general. even in his pictures and in things that i hear about him, just seems like he would be easy to get along with, i don't know why. oh well, that's just my opinion.

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I've always loved Flea. Even though now I listen to more bassplayers, Flea will always be my first favourite bassplayer. Or something..

11. I really like Flea, he can groove with the best of them...if you don't think so, take a serious listen to 'Blood Sugar', specifically 'Power of Equality', 'If You Have to Ask', 'Sir Psycho Sexy', and 'Apache Rose Peacock'. (I also like 'Naked in the Rain'). His fingerstyle tone is great on that record.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    just watch their concert dvd.

i love how they'll jam at the end of some of their songs. very cool. i think that's when flea is at his best.

totally amazing player. he's THE reason why i started playing.

fyi-rhcp has long since been no longer my fav. band. that award :rolleyes: goes to tool. easily.

13. I think he's pretty good. Not great, but definately good. I think his style works for what he does, and he does it well, but I'm not a big fan of slap, and I hate his tone.

14. that's really laughable, but you're free to your own opinion...... :p

I don't think anyone will remember Tool in 15 years; the RHCP have been playing for close to 20 now I think. Not that that makes them better....

Tool?!

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I dig him! He's a Jammin MoFo! Put him in the element of Jammin and he is unstopable!
    I Really liked his MusicMan/Fender tone of the old days, I don't realy dig his live Modulus tone of now but hey everbody's taste changes over the years...
    Thumbs up for Flea in my book!!

16. I like Flea, pretty big influence on me.

Now Tool on the other hand, THAT's a band! I love Tool, and I really don't care if the rest of the world won't remeber them in 20 years...I will. ;)

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah let's do a RHCP vs TOOL POLL!!

:rolleyes:

18. Um, Tool's been around and had a large fan base for 10 years and they're still very, very popular. I wonder how many people said the same thing about the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    arbiter mode: ON

sorry to turn this into any sort of band comparison poll (which is pretty futile and/or useless). i was trying to get across how much i like flea's playing. even though i don't listen to the chilipeppers nonstop (like i did two years ago) and listen to music drastically different, i still enjoy flea's playing b/c it is so damn tasty.

let's end this tool vs. rhcp, please. both have their places.

arbiter mode: OFF

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    dont give um any ideas