1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on Fostex horn tweeter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soulfinger, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I'm sure it was addressed somewhere (I can't find it), but how do we feel about the Foster/Fostex tweeter that's in a zillion cabs?

Reason I'm asking is that I have an old Avatar 1x15+horn that I'm thinking of improving. It has the "old" Avatar crossover that basically makes the tweeter unusable. I was thinking of chucking it for a ready-made 5K crossover or I might take a crack at making my own (realizing that there's going to be hole in the sound between where the driver roles off and the tweeter comes in). Any idea what the useable low frequency of the tweeter is?

2. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    And by the way, is the company Foster or Fostex?!? What's the deal with that?

3. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Same company, horn may say either on it. Other folks will have more info, I'm sure.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    To my ears, they're designed to be turned off!

If there's room, you might consider installing a midrange instead. You'll need a new crossover, but IMHO, it would be worth it!