Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions? ON fretless neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzy bass man, Aug 24, 2005.

1. I am really Gassin' for a fretless right now. Should I buy new neck and slap it on my p bass or should I wait for a stock fretless.

Questions, Comments, Concern

2. please move this thread mods, if its in the wrong forum.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    A new neck + installation could easily cost you as much as a new entry level fretless. Just get a Fretless MTD Kingston and call it a day, they go for like 300 bux on the bay! if not check out www.rondomusic.net or keep your eyes peeled for a used Carvin, or a new Yamaha but IME experience I've never played a Yamaha that was to my liking and despite popular opinion I found them to NOT be fairly priced, especialyl the JP (but that's another story).

4. I really want a unlined ebony board but...

how are the sx fretless?

5. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    couldn't tell ya! why do you want an ebony board so badly?

6. I play upright and am in love with their sound and feel :D

7. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
  8. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    lines change nothing in terms of feel or sound (except perhaps aid in intonation). I'm not saying get lines, I myself play unlined (sometimes wish I did have lines though) I was just wondering what your reasoning was.

I was also VERY impressed by the Gary Willis signature Ibanez and likewise unimpressed by the Fender Jaco sig (although it was pretty comfortable and probably would have sounded decent with roundwounds on it.)

If you really must have an unlined I think more or less your only choice is a used Carvin, otherwise you may be better getting a new neck, But yen again I dunno how convienient changing a neck everytime you wanna play is.

9. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I bought a Cort fretless, Wenge neck, Bartolini MK1 electronics for around $350. Sort of an active poor-man's warwick.
    www.cort.com/basses/artisan/b4fl.jpg

If you pay $150 for a neck, then get tuners + install, I would expect you are getting up to around $250 or so (this just a guess).

The active pre-amp can be switched out and I like having a bit more control over fretless tone than my fretted passive J Bass.

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Assuming you have a standard P bass changing the neck isn't a really big deal. But the neck will cost you $160 for a mighty mite with the ebanol board or $185 for a Warmoth with ebony, again without the hardware. Add in new hardware and you're well over $200 ..... SX, $120 for the whole bass .............

plus, it's probably not advisable to be changing the neck every week as your fretless mood strikes :(

11. I think they can produce inconsitencys but its also the fact that I have never played a lined I liked whereas all of the unlined basses I have played I have.

I don't know about the GWS, but you can put roundwound strings on an ebony board with less of the wear that you would create with a rosewood board.

I have a Spector legend 4 which would be fretted still. I would have one fretted and one fretless.

Thanks for your ideas

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I'd keep the P for the P sound, the Spector for the Spector sound and get another fretless, heck 150 bux on the SX if you feel adventurous buy some epoxy or Polyurethane and get down on the fingerboard. If you really must have unlined go buy a used Corvette or something I guess, or the Cort. In case you didn't know when you play lined fretless you intonate directly ON the line (which I,m sure you already knew)

What unlined fretlesses have you played?

13. Two Warwicks:

A corvette, and a bolt on thumb.

14. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    I personally don't like the feel of Warwicks, but if you do and you have the funds / are willing to spend them I would get the bass, it would give you lots of tonal variety and is a better quality than SX or your P bass probably would be. The thumb must be a good 800-1000 though, so you have to ask yourself if you really need/want it. In the end only you can decide

15. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    I too am gassing for a unlined ebony fretless, and I've had no luck. Things aren't looking good in the $300 range, at this point it looks like I'll either have to wait a few months until I build my own (and I still haven't found a peice of ebony) or until I have $1k for a Corvette, which could take just as long.

16. Thanks, I do really want it but I absolutley don't have that kind of money right now.

I don't like fretted Warwicks really but, their fretless really do it for me for some reason.

17. Thanks, the carvin especially looks good. Unfortunatley, I can't hop on that today or even tommorow so no go.

Thanks again.

Anyone have any experience with replacing necks?

18. I always thought the fretless Rockbass by Warwick basses came with ebony fingerboards, but I might be wrong. At least they're unlined, and quite inexpensive.

19. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    They were just to give you a few ideas, stuff like that pops up everyday on Ebay so don't sweat. Go out and play as many fretli as you can.