Opinions on future purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Jan 1, 2006.

1. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I am attempting to make a very well thought out purchase with my upcoming tax return. I can buy a combo or head and cabs but I'd like to stay at or under $600 (used). My wife wants to put the rest of the return towards bills (can't really complain). I currently have 2 ,4ohm cabs so I think buying another head that can run at 2ohms will give me more options for the dollar. I want an amp with at least 300 watts at 2ohms (but can never have too much), I want a built in DI. If those 2 criteria are met it just comes down to tone. I can't say I am searching for a specific tone. I do like the tone of Kim Deals SVT into an 8x10, but I also like the tone of Rob Squires SWR rig. I play rock and blues. I can work with almost any tone. I am considering the following amps but haven't played through any of them. I've read review on ALL of them and know that they are all of good quality. I'd like opinions of each from people who have used them. There are plenty of reviews here on the Eden line and the AI but what about the other 2? Other amp recommendations? I am using a zon sonus 5. thanks in advance for any input

Acoustic Image Clarus Series III
    Eden WT-330
    SWR 350x
    Peavy Pro 500
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    oh yeah, Happy New Year
  3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    If you don't search for a specific tone then go through the reviews, find the ones that match your needs, see if there are any reliability problems and pick up the one that seems better from the reviews and most suited to your style. Edens are said to be more than good anyway.
  4. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'd shoot for the EDEN if I were you, but TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. also try to listen to the WT550 also, more power, but more importantly smoother, fatter tone capability, if you want that, and it goes down to 2ohms. its a few buck more used, probably about $700, but I think its worth it. not that the 330 was bad, just a bit dryer.

I had a choice between the wt330 ss only (in a cxc110 combo for $450 used) and a WT300 (tube w/ss amp not 2ohm) I preferrred the tone of the 300 with my aggie gs112's