Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Circus, Aug 17, 2003.

1. I think GK would be a good choice for me in that they are fairly innexpensive for a decent head/cab combo. Also, my 3 favourite bassists use them :) (Flea, Tony Kanal, Matt Freeman). I would like to play them before I buy, but may have to go on ebay as I live in canada, and GK doesn't really care about us. What are your experiences with them? Have they been loud enough? thnx :bassist:

2. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    GK is distributed in Canada by Yorkville, it was when I was working for them. Here is the info that I have in my old files. I hope this helps. When I played GK it was very loud and ultra-reliable. For me anyway. Here's some info:

Yorkville Sound Ltd.
    550 Granite Court
    Pickering, Ontario Canada L1W3Y8
    905 837-8481

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    They are very loud, they are very clean, and the older ones (800RB especially) are very reliable. I can't say the same for newer ones, although the warranty covers them pretty well... Trip'll tell ya.

Loud is also a relative term. When you get an amp, make sure to get the right cab. This is true for the GK stuff particularly, I've heard them underpowering cabs and they sound bad or quiet.

And a side note: Matt and Tony both use Ampeg cabs. Flea used to use Mesa Boogie or Ampeg but he uses the GK cabs now, I guess.

4. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Yeah Rojo, I remember what went on with you pretty well. I see it's for sale now...;) My GK stuff worked well. 5 years and not one failure. For me at least. And for the record 3 of the 5 years was before I ever worked for them. Hey water under the bridge and Dan's the man now!

5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    GK are probably one of the best companys around. Solid, Reliable, Clean and cheap. They're good for someones first head and/or cab, but some of their stuff is also great for the pro aswell. I think this group (along with avatar) are one of the most under-rated bass amp manufacturers. But thats me :D.

If you like the GK you are eyes circus, then chances are that its a good one. Try before you buy though. Also some spare parts may be hard to find for GK heads. I dont know if thats a problem where you are in the world but its a problem here in oz :meh:

Other than that good luck with your search!

6. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I bought a GK 700RB 210 a couple of months ago.

I love it!!! The growl is so groove inducing!

I live in canada aswell and compared to a lot of other amps in the same price range GK is a good bet! These amps when hooked up to a GK cab are very loud.

This amp is a real work horse. Seems like it just want to keep being pushed more and more.

what model are you looking at?

7. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    What is your budget for a new amp? The newest version of the GK 1001RB pumps out 700 watts, redesigned for better reliability, and can be had for $625 in some stores. Best deal going for pro quality bass gear.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I'm Trading in my GK400RBIII combo for GK1001RBII 2X10 to go with my 1X15 RBH cabinet. I have been waiting two weeks so far (it's being ordered from GK). I will tell all about my new rig once it is all together.:cool:

9. My experience with GK has been pretty good. I found that the 800rb I had was as solid and tight of an amp as they come. (at least what I've played with) Most other amps I used have farted a little with my cabinet - a homemade 1x8 - but the 800 was in control. It had a very hifi sound to me - solid state I guess. If you like that sound it's great but I felt it was kind of one-dimensional. I couldn't dial in a lot of tones. I've never played the newer ones though, they might be more flexible.

Both GK amps I got were blown up when I got them. One I had fixed and later sold it (the 800) and I never heard back from the guy so it must be ok. I think the guy who had it before me abused it. My other one is a 200rcb, a little 100w thing. Im in process of fixing it, so I don't know what it's really like, but it has basically the same EQ as the 800 AFAIK.

I believe Musician's Fiend sells them, you could always use the 30 policy if youdon't like it.

Stay Low,

BT

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    GK's are really great sounding, they are my 2nd favorite amps...

1.Ampeg
    2.G-K
    3.Genz-Benz

11. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    If we're gonna list faves here's mine:

1. Glockenklang Bass Art
    2. Glockenklang Soul
    3. GK 800RB

12. My first real amp was a GK 700rb, it was very clean and had a nice growl to it. But a las it was a little bit too clean for my tastes. But yeah, if thats what u are looking for then go for it!

My list is
    1.Mesa/boogie
    2.Ampeg
    3Mesa/Boogie(i don't have a third fav....lol)

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Everyone's experience varies, but I personally will never, ever buy a GK product again after the way they mishandled a warranty repair for me a few years ago with my GK 2000RB amp. Repeated lies, different excuses every time I called for status over a period of six months. I remained calm and professional during every contact, yet I sure didn't get the same courtesy in response. It was downright shameful, and its well known today that the 2000RB had a design flaw.

14. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Dear Eric, oh, the tales I could tell out of school! Check your PMs...

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    See I told you!

16. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    "See I told you!"

What were we told?

17. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    In general, I like GK a lot, but I prefer their older stuff much more than the newer ones. The 40RB is about as good as it gets in that price range. I had one for about 6 years, and I never ever had a problem with it. I've had my MB150 for about 8 years now, and it's as reliable as ever with a great sound for it's tiny little size. With that said, I was a bit disappointed with my 1001RB. I was expecting the same quality as my older amps, but the newer ones just feel cheaper to me. I had a small problem with it, and GK took care of the problem quickly. All in all, I would say look used because you can find some good prices out there.

18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The 800RB I snagged was in need of work. I brought it for the repair, $60 + $200 to get it off the previous owner's hands. Best money I ever spent.
    I've asked people who rent equipment, people who repair equipment and long time users which amps they use and why: "GK 800RB because it is reliable and when it does break (which is rare) they are easy to fix."
    If they made the 800RB exactly as it was, super basic, but in a 1000W model... I'd have one.

19. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    GK user since the mid 1970s. I've oned the 400B, 400rb, 800rb, and 1001rb. They're great amps, but yes, as you'll read in this forum, they've had a few hiccups in the quality control and customer service departments. But I stress only a few. I've been happy with all of my heads. No problems.

If you're in the market, you have good timing. GK just came out with updated models which have the same EQ features as previous models, but the new ones have more power. you should definitely try them out, along with other brands, just to make sure that they truly suit your taste.

20. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    "If they made the 800RB exactly as it was, super basic, but in a 1000W model... I'd have one."

When I was with GK I mentioned doing something like that. Except my idea was for 300W per side in a full range or biamp capacity with separate volumes for each side. It could have been fun. I would have used it. Used it for the rest o' my days...yes. Maybe. Hmm?