Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Galveston 8-string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, Jul 7, 2002.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Hello!
    I'm GASing... and I want a multi-string instrument to go with my three 5-stringers (Schecter T-5, MTD Grendel and custom fretless). I am considering several alternatives in various price ranges, such as a DeArmond Pilot Deluxe 6 at ~$500, a Peavey Cirrus 6 at ~$1000, a Yamaha TRB6 at ~$929, and this Galveston at ~$450. (The prices include shipping to Norway and local VAT, so they may seem a little high).

BUT!! Does anyone know how the Galveston really plays? Is it just a hoax, or is it a decent instrument at a low price that will actually give some useable tones? Or is it an item to avoid at all cost??

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there

i think i saw some of those galvestons at the last namm show i was at. they looked like a 6 string sized neck with 2 extra strings crammed on.

those prices are actually pretty decent. have you considered a conklin groove tools 7?

3. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah, I have considered a Conklin, but I haven't found anywhere to buy one... the ones that have surfaced on eBay are "US-shippers-only", like most eBay sellers...

I know you're a die-hard Conklin fan, but I also know that you have the custom "hi-price" ones. How would you compare, say, a Korean Conklin GT-7 to the Cirrus 6 and the TRB6 mentioned? I know that the Conklin has 7-strings, and is thus a little more what I'm looking for, but I'm thinking about the instrument in general.

I also thought the Galveston looked like a 6'er with a few extra strings, and I was not quite as hot on that as on the others. That's why I posted...

I've got this Cirrus on hold right now, and I'm thinking pretty hard... What do you say? A quick decision is good (for me AND for the seller). Thanks again! :)

4. MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Bump for John Turner :)

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know about the cirrus - i've heard good stuff about them - or the trb6, but the gt7's compare very favorably, in my opinion, to my custom instruments. sure, they don't have the fance woods, or some of the custom electronics, but playability, construction and tone are right up there.

in fact, the only reason i don't have one of these pups as a backup is that the spacing at the nut is a bit wide.

my 3 gripes for the gt's are

1. like i said, the spacing is a bit wide - it's bill's standard spacing, not too bad, probably comparable at the nut to a pbass. i have pretty small fingers so i favor the tighter spacing, sorta like a jazz, which my customs have. the bill dickens signature 7 also has this tighter spacing.

2. i like a mid control on my active eqs - the eq on the thing is great, but it's only bass and treble. no big deal, really, since adding a bartolini mid control would be no big issue - in fact i've seen some gt7's with that mod done to them

3. i think the bridge is a bit weak. all my basses have abm bridges, and the ones on the gt7's aren't - i think they're wilkenson maybe? i'm not sure. they're not bad, they just aren't the bridges i prefer. minor issue

still, though, the bass is a serious bargain - the bart pickups are the same ones that bill conklin uses, the preamp on board was actually designed by bill bartolini for this bass, so basically a bart active pre, wenge and purple heart neck, fancy top.