opinions on GK heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twangchief, Oct 31, 2003.

1. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Hi all...I'm new here!

I need some opinions on GK heads, primarily the new mark II versions of the 700RB and 1001RB. I have an chance to play with an oldies (Four Seasons, Buckinghams) band that play 4-5 gigs a month and hauls the equipment around in a box truck and employs a road crew. My rig would be stored in the truck and exposed to roadies and temperature extremes. I like the GK sound and the price is right.

How road worthy are these things? how about these newer middle of the road SBX cabs?

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Hey twang...welcome to TB. :D

Before somebody screams at you to "do a search, man...this has been covered before..." ;)

I just bought the 700rb-II, and I can't say enough about it. The best sounding amp and most powerful for the money right now, IMO.

You'll need to rackmount it if you want to make it "roadie-proof", the carry bag is great for giggin' around town, but I wouldn't want somebody to toss it around with just the bag for protection. The good news is that it's only 8 1/2" deep, so you can fit it into an SKB X-rack case (10" deep).

If you've got another $150, I'd go for the 1001rb-II, as the extra power will serve you well on the road (700w vs. 480w).

I've only played through a GK cab once, but my Aguilar cabs sound waaaaaaaaay better. Don't be afraid of using the amp with non-GK cabs. Works great.

Hope that helps...and have fun on the road! :bassist:
  3. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Thanks Craig for the info!

I did do a search and found some good comments on the GKs but not too many "road proof" stories. This amp will be thrown around by tired, sore roadies and since none of us do this for a living, I don't want to spend alot on a rig (...Ashdown, EBS, Eden) that may just get smashed. We play larger venues and my bass sound will be all the house system. I just need to hear myself on stage.

What Aguilar cabs are you using? I used my Yamaha preamp with a Crown power amp into (2) 2-15 cabs and (2) 4-10 cabs. Too much hassle but I could hear myself (It looked cool too!). I'm much older and don't have to look cool ( it would be difficult).

Thanks again,
  4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    For the gigs I would use my GK instead of my Aguilar DB750 (still my fave by far...but 50 lbs...oy vey!) I use two Aguilar GS112s. The only problem with 112s in your situation is I think the 12s will throw too much, and will defeat your purpose. I would recommend going with 10s. Two GS210 cabs would be perfect. 8 ohm versions of course, because the GK cannot be run at a 2 ohm load.

If your stuff is really going to be tossed around, check this cat out on eBay. He's in Montreal and makes great quality shockmount cases for cheap. I've bought stuff from him and it's the bomb! He'll custom-make cases for your cabs too.

Here's an example:

He does 4 space as well. :cool:
  5. I've had my 1001RB II for about a month and haven't had any issues with it. It has LOTS of POWER.

They've made several improvements over the Mark I such as including a rack kit and bumping up the power output noticeably. Also, the fan turns on before the unit even gets warm (a good sign, since the Mark I's fan only turns on after the unit is hot).

I have it sitting in a 6U SKB ATA Case, along with my Furman, powering a SWR Goliath Jr III (8 ohms, 2x10 + horn) and the whole house shakes.....I can't even imagine what's going to happen if I buy another 4x10 and get the amp to output all of its power into 4 ohms...As if that wasn't enough, the thing weighs 18 pounds and cost me $720 USD brand new.

The one thing I dislike about it is the fact that the fan/vent is on top of the amp. I have no idea why they did this so if you rack it, make sure you have at least a 1U space above the amp for ventilation (that's why I bought a 6U).

As far as road worthiness, I haven't had it long enough to comment but it "feels" very solid and well-built.

Overall: 9/10 (Lost 1 point for the top mounted vent)
  6. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK cabs and heads are both very good.I switched from an SWR SM-400S to a 1001RB and now a 2001RB and have never been happier.No more overheating or lack of volume problems like I had with the SWR.I've also been using the GK 4-10 RBH for about a year now and it beats anything I used before it and i've had a lot of cabs.I tried the SBX cabs at last years NAMM and was also very impressed.I've heard great things about them(SBX cabs) from Trip Wamsley as well.I say give em a try and form your own opinion.:bassist:
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I used an 800 head for recording (don't remember the exact model), and I thought it was great. It was paired up with an SWR 6x10 that was WAY too bright, but we were using the direct out, so it all worked. I wish I could afford GK gear to gig. :D
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a 2001 model of the 1001RB. Great amp, lots of power. I use it with hartke cabs and eden stuff. Sounds great through all of it. I would love to have one with another 160 watts.
  9. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have the 1001RB II. I use it with an Avatar 210 and an Avatar 212. I have the head in a 3 space box for protection. Powerfull, sounds great, cost effective.

Love the head and the cabs.