1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on Hawaii Pacific University?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IconBasser, Mar 4, 2008.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    yep, I'm a junior in high school, and currently searching for good colleges.

I came across Hawaii Pacific University about a half a year ago, and so far, it's my favorite of all the colleges I've researched.

I was wondering if any of you have any other information on it, what do you think of it, ect?

2. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    ... anybody?

3. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    my buddy went there. plenty of hot asian chicks, if that's your cup of tea :)

4. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    ItÂ’s in the heart of downtown Honolulu, near the business center. I met several HPU students that were also taking graduate courses at the University of Hawaii (Manoa Campus). They seemed to enjoy going there. I also had a classmate in the University of Hawaii's Master of Public Health program who was a Nursing instructor at HPU. She liked the way the school is run. She also said her students seemed very focused and hardworking.

I guess what they are most famous for is there affiliation with local businesses through internships, which help their students to transition from school to work. They also have some athletic teams that are usually pretty good (basketball and volleyball).

Aloha! :)

5. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Be prepared for the cost of living increase that you'll face- Honolulu is NOT cheap.

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    damn wish i'd thought of that when i was looking for a school :(

7. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

I'm from Southern California. I can't imagine it would be much of a step up.

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    hehe.

9. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California

is that a "good point, I agree" kinda hehe,

or a "dumb main-lander doesn't have any idea..." kinda hehe?

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I didn't say you were dumb. But you might get quite an education.

Not trying to discourage you. HPU is a great school. But there are just fewer resources here for saving a buck or two than in Cali. You'll probably be fine. What are you planning on studying (besides hot asian chicks...)?

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

Pretty sure it's a dumb, main-lander one.

California's expensive. Hawaii is an island. It's a lot more expensive to get stuff out there. It's a LOT more expensive than living here.

12. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    hm...

ok next question:

does it have a good music program? What is this college essentially geared for?

13. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Go to a local technical college and learn a trade. Our country needs more skilled trade workers.

I hope your not the typical student of today... "Oh, I want to be a doctor/lawyer" bullcrap.

14. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    hell no.

15. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Hell no to what? Going to a tech school?

16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Uhh.. music degree? Nahh, you need to look elsewhere.

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Nope.

18. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    The University of Hawaii at Manoa (on Oahu) has a Music program.

http://www.hawaii.edu/uhmmusic/

A studio apartment (furnished w/utilities) can run $900+ per month.

Milk is $6.00+ a gallon (cheap and on sale), normally $7.50 a gallon.

Regular gas around $3.50 a gallon (and going up).

Cigarettes are over $6.00 per pack for name brands in many places. (Just using it as a benchmark price.)

Bus system on Oahu was $2.00 per fare (trip) last time I was there (a couple of years ago). I live on the island of Hawaii (The Big Island). Discount student bus passes could be purchased on campus (30 day passes). The bus system on Oahu is very good compared to other places I lived. The Big Island has about 1/2 dozen buses total! :eek: