1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on His Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lijazz, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Been watching some videos on YT of him. Most of these are of highly compressed slapping. No denying his skill, but his right hand technique puzzles me. It looks so unnaturally positioned. Assuming he is comfortable and has not experienced any pain/injury in his wrist, should there be any cause for concern on his part?

Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

2. Thats pretty bad right hand technique...

He could play much better if he were to come into the strings parallel with the thumb

Cool tune though!

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Classic Flea slap style.

4. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Geeze... another one....

[​IMG]

This guy spends all his time in his room.

5. I love that bass though!

6. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    We just had Brian Bromberg at my bass camp and he uses the same technique. He had difficulty with holding the thumb parallel to the string and finally decided to use his natural tendency for the hand to fall a certain way. This bassist also uses his middle finger. Here's Brian explaining it:

This guy does have a nice groove going, though.

7. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Nothing extraordinary about it, Just Flea style slap. It's a necessity to play with your knuckles parallel with the strings when wearing the bass low, but he could at least try to keep his thumb somewhat diagonal, yeesh. He won't be able to play anything he doesn't compose, that's for sure.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just watched more of his videos. Just your average Flea wannabe slapper as usual. I wonder if he'll learn to do anything other than "slap-hammer-dead slap-pop"

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Yeah what an idiot..he probably spends his whole day practicig his craft, all passionate and whatnot... :rolleyes:

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    I made no comment on his passion, time he spends practicing, or even his hair.

The OP asked about his technique. It's boring.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Since you capitalized His I expected Jesus playing the bass... and I don't see anything wrong with this guy's technique but I do not care for his hair...

11. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    What would constitute a technique that is, in and of itself, exciting?

12. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Monkey grip..........

13. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Well he can obviously play anything that doesn't involve double-thumb since this position isn't great for that kind of technic. But if you insist ... he can do cover of RHCP and Brian Bromberg

14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Certainly not this. :D

15. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    One of the few things I like about Billy Sheehan: no slap pop!

Don't get me wrong, I like it and all but enough already!! S/P is like salt, a little bit tastes good and a lot...

* Subjective, 2 cent rant - not looking to start a war!

16. It's interesting you bring this particular clip up. What I wanna know is: How many times a week can you wash your hair when it's fixed like that? Anyone? I'll get back with my opinion on his technique after I figure out the hair deal.:bag: He looks 110% Rastafarian, no? Why? One of life's mysteries, I guess.

17. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Mop bucket strainer?

18. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Whatever...I thought it was kind of cool...I looked at a few of his other videos too, and I barely like slap bass.

He can certainly slap better than I ever will be able to.

19. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    I'm with ya, man. I've played for 32 years and know my way around the instrument very well, but I'm not a slap player and likely never will be. It was a fairly basic groove, but what I liked about it was the thickness of the tone, especially in the double-stops (and he gets extra points for not calling these chords ;) ). The G string in particular sounded much less thin and brittle than many slap players I've heard.

So I don't care if his technique was boring or not; what my ears told me was that he had a good thick groove going, there were some not overly-complicted but rather tasteful upper-register chord voicings in the "chorus" section, and it didn't strike me as wanking. Some days you have to be thankful for that.

20. 1: Has he ever even listened to funk in his life?
    2: Yawn
    3: Still yawning
    4: Finishing my yawn
    5: Could you please vary your rhythm at all? If you're just going to play bass at least add some phrasing to it........please...........
    6: Seriously though.....has he EVER listened to a funk band?