Opinions on Holbein 50/2c? And Cello?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Greywoulf, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Sam Ash is selling a Holbein 50/2c student bass for $999. Any opinions on this deal?
    Is it worth it, is it an acceptable bass for a DB newbie hobbyist to fool around with?

I don't want a 3/4 or 4/4 size just yet as I have a small car (an Echo). Also, because I collect and play hand drums (congas, djembes) right now I have only a small bit of spare room left in my house, and a fussin' and cussin' ol'lady... (Also don't know how serious I'll be about playing a DB yet y'know, as I'm still learning basic BG).

PS.. Also, Cello? Samual Ash has them for 500, 600 $$. Are they the same setup as on a DB? (I know the tone is different, guys).
  2. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Trust me, unless you're under 5' tall you do *not* want a 1/2 size bass. They're more difficult to sell, and the difference in tone and volume in laminated instruments is substantial. And they're not that much smaller. Shorter, yeah, but since you can store them standing up, it hardly matters ;-)
  3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Greywoulf, mje's right - skip the half-size. No worries on the Echo; the Echo has very similar interior package dimensions to the new Corollas, and my 3/4 fits in my 2004 Corolla just fine, fwiw.
  4. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001

I've got an Echo; my 3/4 fits with NO problem (plus an amp and hand truck). You don't want to be stuck with a 1/2 if you don't need it.

Toyota's ROCK!!