Opinions on horn settings for WM cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have WM 2X10 and 1X15 cabs. I have been playing around with different combos of the horn settings (off, +3db, +6DB) to try to get the optimal high end sound. Anyone have or played with a similar setup?
  2. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Based my experience with GKs and Eden cabs, I find that running the horn's attentuator in the middle position works best. Maxing out the horn in most cabs usually results in a brittle harsh treble tone. So, for your rig, maybe the +3db setting might work well.

By the way, nice Acoustic 150B head! I can remember being a teenager in the early 1970s and having G.A.S. (ofcourse at the time, it had yet been diagnosed as a bonafide sickness) for a 150B with the Acoustic 2-15 bottom, or better yet, the Acoustic 360!
  3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, I am finding the middle pos seems to work best. I am noticing some noise from the horn tho. The amp may need a 500,000 mile service!

I have owned the 150b since 1974! when I bought it used with an 2x15. I used it in 79 with an SVT 8X10. Both cabs are long gone:( . But this seems to be a nice mix of old and new. The bright switch on this baby gives some serious punch. It is amazing that this thing keeps on rockin after 30 + years!!:)
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That noise probably isn't your amp. The Workingman's horns are very "hissssy".

I have a Workingman's 1x15T (that I have loaded with a 4-ohm Kappa driver) and I leave the horn switched off. I use my 1x15T with a Peavey 210 TXF and I set the horn level on this cab at about 1-1/2 of a possible 11 (yes, "This one goes to 11"). I find this setting lets the slaps and pops come through and cuts-out any unwanted noise.

For your rig, I would suggest setting the horn switch on one cab to the middle +3db position, and off on the other cab.

Just use some trial and error. You only have 9 possibilities with the two Workingman's cabs ;) .
  5. arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    My 210TFX was the first cab I've owned with a horn I so I was forced to have a play to find out what the attenuator did.
    What I did was connect the cab up to my Hi-fi and then run some music through the cab. A/B this against a good Hi-fi speaker in the other channel of the amp and set the attenuator where the balance was about right.
    For the 210TFX this was about half way. Now if I need a little extra I just have to turn it up, but I know that this point is about neutral. YMMV