Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on horn settings for WM cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have WM 2X10 and 1X15 cabs. I have been playing around with different combos of the horn settings (off, +3db, +6DB) to try to get the optimal high end sound. Anyone have or played with a similar setup?

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Based my experience with GKs and Eden cabs, I find that running the horn's attentuator in the middle position works best. Maxing out the horn in most cabs usually results in a brittle harsh treble tone. So, for your rig, maybe the +3db setting might work well.

By the way, nice Acoustic 150B head! I can remember being a teenager in the early 1970s and having G.A.S. (ofcourse at the time, it had yet been diagnosed as a bonafide sickness) for a 150B with the Acoustic 2-15 bottom, or better yet, the Acoustic 360!

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah, I am finding the middle pos seems to work best. I am noticing some noise from the horn tho. The amp may need a 500,000 mile service!

I have owned the 150b since 1974! when I bought it used with an 2x15. I used it in 79 with an SVT 8X10. Both cabs are long gone:( . But this seems to be a nice mix of old and new. The bright switch on this baby gives some serious punch. It is amazing that this thing keeps on rockin after 30 + years!!:)

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That noise probably isn't your amp. The Workingman's horns are very "hissssy".

I have a Workingman's 1x15T (that I have loaded with a 4-ohm Kappa driver) and I leave the horn switched off. I use my 1x15T with a Peavey 210 TXF and I set the horn level on this cab at about 1-1/2 of a possible 11 (yes, "This one goes to 11"). I find this setting lets the slaps and pops come through and cuts-out any unwanted noise.

For your rig, I would suggest setting the horn switch on one cab to the middle +3db position, and off on the other cab.

Just use some trial and error. You only have 9 possibilities with the two Workingman's cabs ;) .

5. arfur

arfur

Nov 26, 2001
    London, UK
    My 210TFX was the first cab I've owned with a horn I so I was forced to have a play to find out what the attenuator did.
    What I did was connect the cab up to my Hi-fi and then run some music through the cab. A/B this against a good Hi-fi speaker in the other channel of the amp and set the attenuator where the balance was about right.
    For the 210TFX this was about half way. Now if I need a little extra I just have to turn it up, but I know that this point is about neutral. YMMV