Opinions on Ibanez Artcore bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MistaZanMan, Jan 7, 2005.

1. MistaZanMan

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, happy belated new year and all that jazz. I wanted to know if anyone has played the Ibanez Artcore bass (either AGB 140 or ASB 140). I tried it out at guitar center a few times but I'm interested to hear the opinions of someone who has tried it out time and time again on stage or just at home. It's real cheap at like $399 and i cant find any negative reviews for it online. Just want to make sure its as good as everyone makes it out to be. I personally thought it sounded awesome in the store...played smooth too.
  2. I love those. Only have played them in stores. They are $350 in the Florida stores from what I have seen. They ooze quality in feel and looks. When I played one the first time, I thought it was a $800 dollar bass that could sell for $1,500 if it was U.S. made. Then I saw the $350 price tag.

My only complaints: No fretless and bad pickup choice. It sounds good, but I would think people would want a PUP configutarion that brings out the warmness of that design, like a couple of single coils or something. The MM PUP is too apgressive for that design. But it does have a great sound. But a fretless with warmer PUPS would make the thing ideal for jazz.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Artcore series overall is awesome. Great guitars, and the QC is excellent. I've only tried the bass at a store, along with an AFS77T (cool finish) but I'd give both a thumbs up.
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have played them too and like them. I don't have much desire to buy one but if you need a a hollow body I imagine they are a great deal at $350.00. I have never been drawn to hollow bodies but after trying one out on an Ampeg B-100 amp at GC I really liked the tone. Playability was good and the whole package felt really nice.

More experienced players may have a different take on them but I liked it. I don't have much to compare them to. The only other hollow body I have played has been an Epihone Viola bass at a local shop.
  5. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If it had a neck pickup, I'd buy one for sure. But the one I played was just too bright, and flats and EQ will only help so much. Pickup placement is too crucial a thing to compromise on.
  6. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I've got one of these Ibanez Artcore Basses

Good bass for the money
    (especially with TI Jazz Rounds fitted and tuned D G C F)

And its rather sensitive to pluckinghand position
    (plucking on the neck/over the p-up or palm muting changes the sound drastic if you ask me)
  7. Quencher

Jan 11, 2005
    I work at GC and we carry these here too
    Personally speaking, they are worth all of the $350 you put into them. But dont look for versatility..like all acoustics they are a bit " unforgiving" and this one in particular is, in my opinion, just a hollowbody 6-string with four strings. they didnt even change the pickups, they just " enlarged " (STS) them. If you are looking for an A/E bass under $500 bucks, check out the Barritone ( 6-string) in the acoustic room and ask them to give you the GLP. You'll be plesently suprized. GLP = Garunteed Lowest Price
    dont tell no one I told ya that;)
  8. MistaZanMan-- I just bought a new Artcore. I am trading in my Fender jazz bass for it. I loved the Artcore as soon as I tried it. The sound is fine, the playability is just as good as the Fender jazz, and what really sold it is the size, shape and weight-balance. I'm a short guy with short arms. The standard-sized bass guitar -- like the Fender jazz -- is too long and unwieldy for me. The Artcore is actually almost as long, but because of the body shape, all of the weight is back in the body, not out on the neck towards the headstock.

I think one of the other commenters said that it's really just a guitar with four strings instead of six -- and that's exactly what I like about it. It feels like a guitar, it's balanced like a guitar. It's much easier for me to handle than the more typical size/shape bass. Whatever works . . .
  9. I;'m looking at getting one within the next 2 months. i was wondering does anyone play it with flatwounds on them? and if so what does it sound like. i want a real low deep sound like a reggae/ska style type. i already have a p-bass that sounds amazing with flats but i was wndering people opinions on the artcore with flats?
  10. I use flatwounds on it, and I'm very satisified with the low end (it came equipped with roundwounds, but I switched them). I use it for jazz, jazz-rock and musical theater once in awhile, so I don't play the same type of music that you do. I'm not too familiar with ska (in fact, I'm not familiar with it at all), so I don't quite know what type of sound you're looking for, but for my needs, the low end is fine.
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If they ever come out with a five string single HB version, I'm there!