1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on Ibanez EDB600gp

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by onadowner, Jul 22, 2001.

1. onadowner

onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Texas
    Hey people. I know you've all felt this excited about a new bass before, but it's still new to me so. Anyhow I'm thinking of getting my second bass tomorrow, I'm pretty set on a Ibanez EDB600 4string (or 5 considering) and just wanted to see what all of you thought about the bass. I own a SR305DX already, but I'm kinda starting to understand the whole neg opinions about SR's, okay bass but no variety at all.

Anyhow, like I said my first bass was a 5, and I've not had a 4 of my own yet, and wondered is there a huge low end diff without the B string. I'm not a big fan of the B anyahow, esp floppy ones, but despite I don't want to loose the growl or bottom, you know? So any advice or comments from other players is great help. Also the 5 I have now is supposedly "active" if you consider that phat bass knob.....but I think the EDB is passive, will this effect my range or sound?

Like I said I'm pretty set on this bass, but all negative and positive comments are all welcomed.

Later.

2. EDB is also active.
    for it's price it's a very nice bass.. the EDC has somewhat different electronics, and has great low-end..

3. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    I own an EDB 605 and like it. The profile of the neck is what decides me to buy this bass. The body is also very comfortable (and looks very smart), and the electronic is more than correct at least for me (passive pickups with active EQ).
    The low B is a little floppy and not very usable above the 5th fret, but I don't use it that much so this is not a huge problem for me..
    I don't like 4, so I never tried the EDB 600 but I think it's a good deal for the price.

4. wuh ?

i don't get it...
    you don't use the B, but you don't like 4-strings ??
    what use is the B for then ? for looks ?

5. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    I never said that I don't use it, I said that I don't use it very often and that I never use it above the 5th fret cause the sound is too muddy..
    I need the low B for 25% of the songs that I play (like Dream Theater stuff)
    I don't like 4 because I've got large hands and don't like small necks. As I was a guitarist before, the 5 gives me the same feel in terms of width. I also like the low B to rest my thumb on.

6. the edb600gp is nice. I own one. I rarely play it now.. it feels too weird going from my warwick 5 string to my ibanez 4-string. hehe. But I likethe bass. Watch out for wires coming loose though. Otherwise, great bass. Worth the $$.

7. Erhm.. 5th fret on B-string is still an E...
    so i still don't get the point of the 5th string if you don't use it above the 5th fret :D

8. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    I know my english is not very good, but if I trust my dictionary, above 5 means 6,7,8,etc..
    So I only play the B string open and on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th frets..
    Am I wrong??

9. I think he meant "above" as in sound (low to high). I was a little confused too.

10. Ah :)

I thought with above, as in " closer to headstock "
    0,1,2,3,4th fret :)

my mistake.. sorry :)

11. onadowner

onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Texas
    Thanks. After closer considerations I'm now starting to look into the Ibanez BTB-405QM. I still like the EDB alot, but I took heed of alot of advice and I like what I've found. I love the tone on the BTB even though the tone on the EDB is good, despite the horror stories. I'm pretty small handed so the neck'll take some gettig used to, but that's minor.

Anyhow I'm still interested in the EDB and I still haven't decided yet, so my questions go out to you folks who already own EDB's. Okay here goes...

1.Has your experiences with the Luthilite body been good or negative?

2.If you've played the BTB line, is the EDB any comparison, tone and build wise, iyo?

3.How are the pups iyo?

12. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    I have to agree with the cold and sterile sound of the EDB, but this is the tone I like. I'm not into the classic, vintage, warm tone everyone wants.
    When I bought mine, the BTB didn't exist, the only other series of Ibanez were the SR and the ATK.
    I tried the ATK 305, and that was a good bass, but it was so heavy that I couldn't hold it more than 30 minutes.
    I doesn't see any negative thought about the luthite body. The curved shape make you feel you're holding a custom made instrument, it doesn't scratch easily and is lighter than plain wood bodies IMHO. The look is also great and the cleaning is faster and cheaper (no need of special oils or things like that).
    So if you like the tone, I see no reason to avoid the ED* series. Just forget this is plastic and be proud to play a bass that is different. ;-)