Opinions on joining a gym?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Oct 15, 2011.

1. 1

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. 2

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'll make this as brief as possible haha!

I'm thinking of joining my local gym - 10 minute walk from my house, £39 per month. All inclusive of swimming, classes, gym, sauna, courts and rackets. Good deal, no?

Anyway, I'm already a member of a gym that I get free with work. Includes swimming, classes, and gym. Courts and rackets are extra (and pricey).

Looks like a no brainer, but the trouble is that if I use the free one after work, I don't get home until almost bed time what with a train ride, a bus ride, and a total of over an hours walking. Doesn't really make me enthusiastic. And to do that at weekends as well? Fat chance!

So what to do?

Option 1) Save money and be really unmotivated to go to the leisure centre?

Option 2) Spend £39 per month and get in shape?

2. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    I have a gym membership to a gym far away from me (about 15-20 miles). I have no car, so I either go before work (BLAH) or after work. If I go after work, I am forced to get home around 1am. I get off of work around 8. I do not see myself being at a gym for 5 hours. I always take my possible ride home (except Sundays..) at 8. This dramatically reduces the amount of time I go to the gym.

I say pay the extra, and go to the gym near you. That type of situation creates a major deterrent in going, and that completely avoids your object.

3. Get yourself motivated!

£39 a month? Ouch, my membership was £79 for the year. The major difference in cost is that it doesn't have a swimming pool (bit of a downer). But it has the rest.

I'd try and find a way to get yourself motivated to go, you shouldn't have to spend extra money to get motivated :)

Up to yourself and your own financial situation I guess, but that wouldn't be me. The ladyfriend recently joined a gym near her flat, all inclusive setup, with swimming pool etc too and it's only £19 a month. Anything else around?

4. Spending £39 isnt going to get you motivated, it is just going to add you to the huge list of people who have a gym membership and never actually go to the gym!

I hate gyms so i work out at home, you can do an awful lot with body weight exercises to start with and if you want to start lifting you can get yourself a barbell, some dumbells and a bench for around 3 months worth of gym membership!

You dont need machines, its all about free weights and the mental to do it! Also it shouldnt take long! If your exercising more than 45 min to an hour a day your doing it wrong!

5. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    What are "classes" or did you mean swimming classes like racing or diving ????

Coming home later is not all that important unless you have little children. That's about the only viable reason I could even think of. If the one place has pretty people who you enjoy looking at: I suppose if you can afford it - go for it. But if you are honestly looking for getting healthy: it's consistency that does it.

6. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

Feb 1, 2011
    Hmm... 50-50... looks like you are where you started ;)

7. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I actually don't like "working out". It has to be fun. Which is why swimming, classes and courts are the most important thing to me.

Classes as in kickboxing, step and aqua aerobics.

The issue with coming home late is that I have to walk home by myself from the train station in the dark, which is about a mile. I don't live in a nice area, and I don't think any guys I know would walk by themselves let alone women.

8. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh, I forgot to mention that my friend uses the gym near me, and we swim together there every saturday and some sundays. Which for each session is £4 :/

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Are there NO other gyms near you?
    Like... do you REALLY need all those extras like Swimming, Sauna, Courts etc?

10. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Nope. No others at all.

I have to clarify - I don't like going to the gym - the ONLY things I use are the swimming pool, classes and courts. The actual gym part with running machines and weights etc is completely irrelevant, and I've never been in a sauna.

So I guess the short answer to that would be yes...

11. Are you into sports at all?

Joining a sports club could be a great motivator, plus it would likely be cheaper and keep you motivated?

12. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland
    If it gets you going there 1-2 times more per week, and you're not on a tight budget, 40 quids per month is not a bad deal. Good local gyms are in that price range, and don't even have pools!

By the way, if I was in the UK with no sauna around, I'd gladly pay 40 quids just for that :p

13. HaRd

HaRd

Aug 10, 2011
    Long Island
    It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish for yourself. "Getting in shape" is quite a vague goal depending on if your overweight and eating potato chips while typing or if your someone who fell out of a routine in being healthy.

Partly the biggest motivation for me to workout is the fact that I am paying per month and want to get my moneys worth. Aside from that at the gym you can see results in people who've been there way longer then you and even get ideas or tips from them. I don't exactly have much room around my house to buy expensive gym equipment so rationalizing joining a gym was an extremely easy decision for me.

14. IMO your wasting your time and money!

If something has to be made fun for you to want to do it you will never get the motivation to carry on!

15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm obese (class 2) so just want to be smaller and look better

That's absolute horse poo. The best way to get the motivation to continue something is by making it fun.

16. Well lets agree to disagree then!

IMO something like getting fit is a bit like quitting smoking, its not going to happen unless YOU really want it to happen!
    If you dont have the motivation in you to just get on with it and do it, a bit of fun and games and some cute spin classes twice a week are not going to help much!

Either put your mind to it, embrace sweat and pain and see the result or dont bother!

17. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Yes, lets. You don't know anything about me including why I need to make stuff fun in order to stick to it.

And having quit smoking 3 years ago, I don't think it's even remotely the same.

18. Im curious as to how you made quitting smoking fun! My memories of it are all but fun!

19. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I didn't. As I said, they're not remotely the same.

20. Exactly, so you did manage to stick with something that wasnt fun!

Try doing the same thing with exercising and you might be surprised by the result!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021