1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on Kustom Groove 600HD and Deep End 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcburn, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Hi everyone - very little review info available on the net about this brand. Anyone encountered either the head or the cab. My current setup is in my sig, and while it is good I would really like a cab that puts out a little more bottom end and a head with a graphic EQ and seperate input gain and master volume.
    This combo seems to be what I want, just would like opinions.
    Thanks.

2. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I don't have a Kuston Groove 600HD and have never played one, but I do have it's big brother, the 1200HD. I've had this head for 2 years now and I'm totally in love with it. Tone is killer and doesn't sound as Hi-Fi as some reviews claim. I have it paired with an Ampeg PR410HLF it's a potent combination! I picked the head up for around $400 used and the cab for around $400 used. The EQ is great and most of your tone can be dialed right in with your low-mid-high knobs. I've giged the head a bunch and was rehearsing 2-3 times a week with it and not so much as a hiccup from it. Some people poo-poo on the brand name due to the lower quality of the older stuff but trust me, you'll be surprised by the quality.

That being said, I would keep my eye out for a used 1200HD or 1300HD. They can be had for short money.

3. Thanks for the answer - I realise this amp is solid state. Just wondering are you able to drive the preamp gain to clip to slight distortion or does the amp stay clean. If it distorts what does it sound like?

4. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I wouldn't say that it clips to a nice overdriven distortion sound. When this sucker clips at volime you'll know it and you'll probably wince and fear for your speakers. I play pretty hard, I mean I have a super heavy right hand. I really dig in and I have my gain set just a C-hair below the point of clipping. One of these days I'll get around to loading a sound clip or video of my rig. I would say that the amp stays pretty clean right up to the point that it clips. I do get a pretty grindy sound from my heavy right hand.

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I owned the Groove 1200HD and Groove 410H cab for years. I always wanted to get rid of them. I never was satisfied with the sound it produced until I ran a VT Bass into it and it into an Ampeg 810. Even then, I decided to bide my time until I could get an SVT and ditch the Kustoms. They never really satisfied me. They were powerful, could go deep, stayed clean, but there was no character to them at all. No quirks or cool tricks that made you love it. It was just an amp with no soul.

6. Hmmmm - Chris thats a bit how I feel about my Hartke. Most people on here love them. I just want a little more nastiness or character.
    Oh well - back to the drawing board!

7. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Funny thing is I had been a GK guy for 16 years straight until I came across the 1200HD. I just shot some vids this morning. I'll try to load them to YouTube in the next few days. I played with no effects to give an idea how my Geddy Jazz sounds through it.

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I'd honestly recommend looking into a pedal like a VT bass. You can use those to get at least a 90% accurate tube amp OD tone. I think my VT bass actually sounds better than my SVT-II in overdrive. I also have GK 1001RB II head that gets a little nastier than most SS heads. If you really want to change amps pick up a used 1001RB (used pricing is usually $425-$450 shipped here on TB) and get more power and more grit from your cabs.

Haha, and I'm here peddling GK to the guy! I'd like to hear how it sounds. Even with basses that I adore to this day, I couldn't get a tone that made me smile. I'd be just satisfied at best with the head. :meh:

9. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I love how this head sounds with my PR410HLF, but I'm not crazy about how it sounds with my Hartke xl410. Maybe it's because I'm over that aluminum driver sound. At my new rehearsal place I've been playing through a 1001RB and I've been missing my 1200HD tone. My tone through the GK sounds a bit too mechanical or processed to me. A little on the harsh side if you know what I'm sayin'. I picked up a BDDI last week and what a difference it made running it through the GK head. Just goes to show you that we all have our own ideas as to what the perfect tone is. Many times what works for one person might be the wrong direction for others.

10. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Just threw up a video of me playing along with Circumstances by Rush. No effects to mask the tone of the head and cabinet. My Geddy could stand some fresh strings but give the vid a watch............. Just remember, the audio is being picked up by the built in mic on the camcorder.

11. Hey man - not hard to tell from your ID and gear you are a Rush fan! Great playing BTW. Would like to see some Youtube action of Natural Science. Love that song!
    The head sounds interesting. Very clean but I can hear good tone in there. I may just have to add in a Sansamp Bass Driver maybe for some tube emulation.
    You may have turned me back!

12. By-Tor1000RR

By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    Maybe I'll do a second take on this song with the Sansamp BDDI to have an A/B comparo of the tones. I'll post back when I have the second vid up. I'll send you a PM too.

13. That would be great man, and if you could I really dont go for a distorted tone per se, more just added "grit"and a bit of tube warmth.
    Cheers.