1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on legitimacy of this "ALEMBIC" P-bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Thatguy, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser

maybe3. I can't see it in person until Sunday evening... and these are the only pics I have so far. I've searched high (actually, I wasn't high; it's a figure of speech) and low for info, and this bass seems too plain-Jane to be real Alembic compared to every other one I've ever seen in person (including a Series I two weeks ago from Clapton's bassist back in the day... holy crap it was gorgeous) , and the headstock decals here seem to have some overlap. Then again.... maybe a "budget" version of the brand? Let the debate begin.

maybe.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That's a different Alembic than the one you think it is.

Hope this helps.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am certain this is a scam. I heard of a case several years ago where someone printed Alembic on an import P-bass and ripped off a few small time pawnshops in Louisiana.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  4. UpperBout

UpperBout Supporting Member

Alembic has NEVER made a bolt-on bass*. These come up from time-to-time. Counterfeit. Probably a Japanese bass. I've heard that the basses themselves were not terrible if you evaluate them as offshore P-Bass knock-offs.

The bass you pictured has no relationship to the US company in Santa Rosa.

(*Except for a weird 3-bolt Japanese thingy in the 80's - that one is legit licensed Alembic, but MIJ)

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Some how I don't think Alembic would make a bolt-on P-Bass copy.Especially without the Alembic logo. chuckle.

tomersg and Timmah like this.
  6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    If I recall, the L.D. Heater company was importing P copies labeled Pan, made by Matsumoku's subsidiary in Canton. They were also negotiating a distribution contract with Alembic at the time. Alembic's folks helped out with some pickup issues on the Pan imports, which led to some of them being labeled Alembic without that company's consent.

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Don't waste your gas going to see this one. It is definitely a fake. There's a company in Texas that pops up every now and then with a few of these for sale. Alembic spends more time and money than they would care to trying to shut this one down.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Pan basses that cdef mentioned. They are flat out firewood with a weakly contrived "Alembic" slap on logo. All real Alembic logos are brass.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic does not have a model that parallels a P-bass, but I do recall seeing a custom built instrument that was either a P or PJ layout.

Alembic also makes P pickups in their Activator line of replacement pickups.

9. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    OK.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have seen P/J Alembic with four inline head stocks. They still looked very Alembic and not Fenderish at all.

steveinohio and gebass6 like this.
  11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    And to gebass6's point, neck through, not bolt-on. Nothing wrong with bolt-on, but just know that Alembic doesn't make bolt-on.

12. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Four in line.Yes!

13. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    There is still one of those here at a pawn shop. It's been there since I arrived in 1999. They wanted $1299 for it at one point; I wonder how much they paid for that piece of junk.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yes, indeed!

b2292d19f1d31b5c2d80cd6e48975ad0_zpsdkd5enrh.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Beautiful!:bassist:

jazzyvee likes this.
  16. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    No better maker to make a four in line custom.
    Always wanted a Stanley Clarke Signature myself.Always needed the funds.(Laughing)

jazzyvee and hintz like this.
  17. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser

Here's photos as part of the reason for my questions in the post, as this is what I found earlier today via Google images.

I appreciate the info so far.... this is going to be one I'll pass on, for sure.

Attached Files:

18. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I recall a similar occurrence on eBay a few years back...

I save searches in my bookmarks and one is for "STATUS" basses. Lo and behold, I scroll down and see some P bass turd copy, branded as a "STATUS" for like $227 new.
    There's no attempt to steal the logo or any of the designs, nothing. It's a run-of-the-mill, generic P bass copy. It could say "AXL" or "JOHNSON" or "JAY TURSER" or any of the other companies that put their names on these mass-produced turds. It just happened to say STATUS.

It's good to ask though! Some companies did some weird one-offs. This just isn't one of those.

19. Bassmann79

Bassmann79

Mar 7, 2015
    lol..that's no Alembic..looks like a POS honestly...glad you checked here first

Moosehead1966 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Jan 21, 2009
    That sunburst covering the forearm contour screams plywood.... I feel, through the ownership of my first piece of crap plywood strat that plywood isn't a great tone wood.

bholder and jamro217 like this.