1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

opinions on Low End Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by backseatbetty, Oct 14, 2006.

1. backseatbetty

backseatbetty

Oct 12, 2002
    netherlands
    Hi,

Any opinions on the Low End Jazzbass? Seems a very nice instrument and a worthy contender! Particularly interested in the 5-string,

Cornelius

2. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    no you weirdo
    LEJ (the low end bass guitars- brian barrett /chris B)

excellent!
    I have one on order
    wider body than than a sadowsky and fender.

3. backseatbetty

backseatbetty

Oct 12, 2002
    netherlands
    Hi,

I'm considering a fretless 5. How do they stack up against Celinder and so forth?

Cornelius

4. I have no experience with LEJs but several owners of said brand on this board absolutely love theirs. I've seen several posts in which it's been said they felt and played better than Sadowskys.

If you just wait a bit I'm sure others will chime in.

5. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I owned a 5 string LEJ and loved most of it...I wasn't that thrilled with the old preamp but the new and improved pre is much better; I will own another. Brian is one of the best guys to deal with and Chris is easily one of the most talented builders out there. You can't go wrong with those guys.

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

The fit, finish and playability are all equally as great as the Celinders with the extra added bonus of being about $1000 cheaper and you will get the bass after you order it. These guys are not going away.

7. Adam Wright

Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Mike Lull Basses, Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, SIT Strings
    I love my LEJ 5...I've owned 2 Sadowsky basses(a Metro 5 and a 25th Anniversary) and I prefer my LEJ. Never played a Celinder.

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    +1 all the way. There are a lot of guys building basses, but there is a short list of guys building custom basses correctly and in a timely manner. Chris and Brian are on the short list.

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I owned one for a couple of months and it was hands down the best Jazz bass I've ever played. Every aspect of the bass was top notch. I also have to put in a good word for Brian. He's is a good friend of mine and a great guy to do business with. However, he's deffinetly not a BSer. He tells is as he sees it. He's also a complete nut on the quality of these basses. It's also cool that they're all custom made by Benavente. I really don't think you can go wrong with one.

10. I played a 4-string LEJ. Couldn't put it down. Amazing instrument in every respect.

11. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I owned an Ash body/maple neck LEJ for about a year - fit, finish & playability are among the best you'll ever hope to find. Ultimately, I found the neck width & string spacing a bit too wide however, just couldn't seem to get the adjustable string spacing to my liking and made a hard decision to part with it. Tone from the Benavente preamp & Benavente Slims was phenominal - I still have a Benavente 3-band version of the preamp I'm saving for a rainy day project...perhaps I can cop some of the vibe in an instrument better sized for me in the string spacing area. All in all, an incredible instrument - I can't imagine it gets much better than this in the bass market. :)

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

The Low End Jazz bass is on my list to try in the near future.

13. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    MM,

Watch out they have your color:

greenburst.jpg

Congratulations on your new Lakland as well.

14. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I had the opportunity to play a Low End Jazz at a guitar show, and it would be high on my list of basses to consider in the future. Super punchy sound and first-rate construction.

FWIW, I preferred it's sound to any of the handful of upper-end Benevente basses that were also on display in the Low End booth.

15. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    as far as the string spacing issue

If you toss up a little love (and money- or wood....)

They work around your needs.
    I have on on order and I like narrow string spacing so were doing a variation version.