Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Derhak1, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Derhak1

Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    Burlington,VT
    Hey- I just found this board, and I'm glad that I finally found an all bass discussion group. I have been playing a fretless 4 for a couple years now, and am looking to get a fretted again. I also want to go ahead and get a 5 string. I am a coolege student, so I'm working on a budget for sure. I played a MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe 5 string at a local store last week and it felt and sounded really good. I definitely like the active electronics compared to a standard MIM Jazz. I also like the nicer hardware and the shell pickguards. Does anybody here have one of these basses? They seem like a good buy for about $550. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks-Alex

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned one of these basses for a little while. They were very nice. They sound great & feel really nice. IMO, one of the best Fender models & @ $550, It's even better.

Welcome to TB!!!!

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Welcome to TB!!

Those are nice basses for the buck; my brother in law has one and gigs the hell out of it without problems.

4. richie

richie

Dec 12, 2002
    San Diego County
    I have one and I was using it as a primary bass at all our gigs and it heald up just fine. Now its a back up thumper. I do miss playing it cause of the nice fender sound and the weight. Its worth the 500$ and the only thing I would change is mabe the bridge. The first gig I played with it I had a bunch of comps, so as long as you have a decent amp you love it!
    good luck..............

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to TB!!!

I havent played a Jazz deluxe 5 for awhile but just yesterday i played a Fender Roscoe Beck 5 and was most impressed. Excellent bass. Its probably out of your price range but i just thought i would mention it. Passive electronics, extremely versatile and a very good low B.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I have two 5 strings...a Squier P Special 5 that I recently defretted and a MIM deluxe active j5. I actually prefer the Squier's neck profile (very much like a RB5) but enjoy the Jazz too.

I stumbled into an amazing mind blowing deal at a Guitar Center list sale just before Halloween grabbing my brand new J5 for $220. I'd venture to say that it's still a good value in the $500s...I seem to recall that GC's regular price is in that range. Check zzounds, musiciansfriend and others for prices.

7. Derhak1

Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    Burlington,VT
    Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm gonna be picking one up. Now all I need to decide on is if I want to pay the extra $50 for the sunburst.:) I like the way the black and the white look with the tort.pguard also. We'll see. Thanks-Alex

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I use one as my main bass. I have a Standard as a backup, but I think I prefer the passive Standard versus the Active Deluxe, but both are great basses. They have to be, I traded my Kingston for one.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My bass still has the original strings on it and they need replacing...what kind of strings do you other owners use and why?

FWIW, I'm pretty fond of DR Hi Beams and am thinking about using them (I have them on my other three Fenders) but I'm open to suggestion. A friend suggested Elixirs for my defretted Squier P 5 Special and I really like them too (and they don't eat up the fingerboard).